Last Shuutle launch

A.T. Hagan :

Once more Brevard county is going to take a massive hit to local employment. I lost a lot of friends as a boy when they killed the Apollo program and their parents had to move away to where ever they could find work.

It's been over forty years since we first set foot on the Moon. Now we won't have the capacity to get one of our own astronauts into even low-Earth orbit.

A week after the launch it'll be the Russian space station and we'll be having to pay them to get us there.

Long-term development projects and political leadership that changes its mind every four to eight years is a certain recipe for wasting billions of dollars. An entire generation of manned space exploration has been lost.

The ISS well never belong to any one. It is Every ones ( Talking country wise not peoples)

We have not lost a generation of manned space exloration. We have just opened the door for farther devlopment. the space shuttles were runnign 40 year old Lenix (god i can never speel that) programs. They were simple. The russian space program is not as advanced as ours BUT they are the only other program that is flying manned missons.

Also every one well have to depend on the Europen Space Agency. With out food and water you well die. The ESA (not shure if it is called that?) is the one building the transporter to carry items to the station.

The shuttles were never ment to last 40 years. The shuttles are what i think of when i think of space. I love the shuttles and i love the Canada Arms. But i do know that they were not as intendet.

And they do have something to replace it- in mind not built yet. what ever it is well require a whole retrofit of the lunching pad... that in it's self well take a while.​

This may be a stupid question but... aside from communications and defense satellites, what exactly is the point of the space program? I don't really see a need to go to Mars or the Moon anytime soon. The ISS baffles me as well.

The space program itself got away from it's original intentions. Apollo 5 was "exploration". The space program got away from exploration with the space shuttles. Yes, the shuttle can carry a much larger payload, but was to much for exploration. NASA is talking about going back to rockets as they are talking about going back to exploring the outter edges of our universe.

It somewhat makes sense for a change. Why spend gobs of money on space shuttles to go to the ISS when you can hitch a ride on someone elses for cheaper? For a change, our gov't is thinking logically.

A heck of a lot of people didn't see the need for Columbus to seek another way to the Orient either.

What is the point of any exploration? Why can't we all just be satisfied living in caves like we've always done?

Forty years since the first landing on the Moon and we've been slowly losing ground all the while. Send robots to do all of our exploring for us so we can look at the pretty pictures. Why ever bother going anywhere? You don't need to go to Europe. You can watch a video. Here, a nice photo of a geyser erupting. No need to go to the expense of going to Yellowstone. A baseball game? Why? Watch it on the television!

Why bother ever leaving your house? EVERYTHING can be delivered to your door! You can live and die right there in your living room never needing to exit your home.

The entire human species could still be living in Africa just as we had always done.

I'm done with this.

A.T. Hagan :

A heck of a lot of people didn't see the need for Columbus to seek another way to the Orient either.

What is the point of any exploration? Why can't we all just be satisfied living in caves like we've always done?

Forty years since the first landing on the Moon and we've been slowly losing ground all the while. Send robots to do all of our exploring for us so we can look at the pretty pictures. Why ever bother going anywhere? You don't need to go to Europe. You can watch a video. Here, a nice photo of a geyser erupting. No need to go to the expense of going to Yellowstone. A baseball game? Why? Watch it on the television!

Why bother ever leaving your house? EVERYTHING can be delivered to your door! You can live and die right there in your living room never needing to exit your home.

The entire human species could still be living in Africa just as we had always done.

I'm done with this.

Right? *hugs*​

Grew up a total NASA brat ...

My dad and I now watch these launches "together" .. on the phone, from Texas to Florida..

We both cried as we watched it together today ..

Historic day ..

A.T. Hagan :

I'm done with this.

Actually, there was a very clear purpose in finding the Orient... MONEY. Finding a route to China across the Atlantic would have brought untold amounts of wealth. The purpose of most exploration is for wealth or resources.

Once again, though, I have used terrible phraseology - I'm fine with sending robots to explore the Moon and Mars, but there's really no point in sending PEOPLE unless there are resources to be obtained. Too risky and too expensive with too little in return.

Sorry, I tend to be VERY practical when it comes to discussing billions of dollars.
lol.png
Still, I do see where you're coming from.​

Back
Top Bottom