Last Year I Started Beekeeping - So Exciting

I need to check on my bees this afternoon. I've got quite a lot of dead bees on the ground in front of the hive. It's been cold, so I'm not sure how many is considered normal.

I need to check on my bees this afternoon. I've got quite a lot of dead bees on the ground in front of the hive. It's been cold, so I'm not sure how many is considered normal.
It is normal to see dead bees outside the hive this time of year. They are downsizing for the winter, evicting the drones and the older foragers are dying of old age.

Quote:
Oh good, now I don't feel so bad.

I still need to check on their stores. I've been feeding them and haven't checked inside the hive for a month. So I want to have a look at how much is being consumed vs. stored, so I know whether to keep feeding them. They are still bringing in pollen too, so that's good - though I have no idea where they are finding it.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about a hive for my yard, I seen many make sugar cakes /candy cakes / sugar-bars to help feed during cold weather, especially if you harvest much of the honey, if they are still bring in pollen they are using more food by being more active, and he is right about the bee die off this time of year ! I need to find out what a starter kit would cost, or if building on from scratch would be better ~ Utube is a great learning tool !

I've ran across FREE beekeeping books for anyone interested. They are in Kindle format but you do not have to have a Kindle in order to get the books free on your computers hard drive. Simply go here to Amazon and download the free Kindle application for PC.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_ln_ar?docId=1000426311

Once you have Kindle on your PC here are the books and links to get them free.

For the bee keepers! The Natural Beekeeper

http://www.amazon.com/The-Natural-Beekeeper-Successfully-ebook/dp/B008YFXH4Y%3FSubscriptionId%3D1GVBN9WWNVXC5DBPE502%26tag%3Dkiq-free-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB008YFXH4Y
ir

The Healthy Bee Hive.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Healthy-Bee-Hive-ebook/dp/B008WARIZU/ref=pd_typ_k_sp_1_p
ir

How to Become An Amazing Beekeeper

http://www.amazon.com/How-Become-Amazing-Beekeeper-ebook/dp/B008SU89F2%3FSubscriptionId%3D1GVBN9WWNVXC5DBPE502%26tag%3Dkiq-free-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB008SU89F2
ir

If you are interested in obtaining more FREE books on Kindle stop by my thread post containing page after page of free book links most about CHICKENS!! You can find the link in my profile signature.

Early in the spring when I was getting bee's I asked if anyone had experience with bee's & horses. I am reporting back that my bee's are in the pasture with my horses with a fence around the hive so the horses can't use it as a scratch post. We have had no problems at all with the horses getting stung or the bee's even bothering them.

Hope this helps a future bee keeper.

Wow I wish I would have seen where you asked about the horses and bees I would have gladly told you my info on that subject. I also want to thank the person with the kindle info. I hope to get my apiary going again in the spring.

No problem, it was back in last winter that I was asking. At the time I was in the planning stages & as it turned out not to be a big deal.

It's the same with chickens. My chickens love to free range around the bee hives, but they avoid walking right in front of them when the bees are flying. The bees don't seem to care. About 3 weeks ago the workers were kicking the drones out for the winter and the girls were loving the freebies.

I've been wanting to get into bees for a few years now, but two major problems have been preventing me so far... First is the start up costs. Everything to get bees started, and the bees themselves, are NOT cheap. Second, I'm highly sensitive to honey bee stings. To the point that the doctor wants me to carry an epi-pen with me... More stings could increase my reaction to them, going from just a leg swelling up to a possibly life-threatening reaction. :/ Despite the sensitivity, I *STILL* want to try it. Does anyone else have any sensitivities to honey bee stings and still keep them?

Back
Top Bottom