Lavender-Based Leghorn Breeding & Improvement Discussion

These genetics are very rare/very common

• Total voters
Pics
Book: Inheritance in Poultry p 74

" Ear Lobe Color"
Red is primitive in both groups. White is the new variation, which isprobably due to fat or other particles in the skin, and is consequently positive. Only in extreme cases is red wholly eliminated from the earlobe. In three series of crosses (V,VI, and X) of the red-lobed Dark Brahma and a white (and red)-lobed race the earlobe were prevailingly red, but had some white in their centers. Likewise, in two series of crosses (VII and VIII) of the red-lobed Cochin and the white-lobed Leghorn, red dominated in the hybrids, but did not always perfectly exclude white. Red is apparently dominant but very imperfectly so; some cases rather indicate particulate inheritance."

This book is old old old. Originally published in 1906. Author is Charles Benedict Davenport who was the director for experimental evolution, Cold Spring Harbor, New York.

It looks like Davenport crossed a LOT of very different chickens and tracked the results and documented the results of certain genetic traits. Book contains his methods, the genetic traits he was looking at in his crossings and tables of the results by head count.

The book can be gotten from Amazon for 14.99 or something...but it is in the public domain (more than 70 years old) and you can read it free on google books. It's considered culturally significant. How's that?

So going back to our previous question about earlobe color, I think he found that red is dominant...but would be an 'incomplete dominant'.

Perhaps this is the 'dumb question of the day' --- Are all Leghorns - regardless of variety white egg layers?
Inquiring minds want to know.
If it doesn’t lay white eggs then it’s not a Leghorn. Although I have heard that Isabel Leghorns lay off white eggs because the Isabel color comes from Orpingtons (brown egg layers).

Yes they all are supposed to lay white eggs.
Mille fleurs have been the worst ive seen about laying off white eggs. Same problem as the Isabella. The color was brought in but so were some brown egg genes. The MF never really got past the project stage IMO before they lost popularity so not surprised about them.
Ive actually saw tinted eggs in more then a few varieties depending where theyve came from.
Many people have had that problem with buffs from hatcheries. I actually got some buffs from two different show breeders that all laid the furthest from white that ive seen besides from the MF.

Mine's eggs are definitely slightly tinted one of several reasons I think they could use another shot of good Browns bred back into them.

I've been off BYC here for a while so an update: I lost one of the Dumplins (hens) to my brother's stupid dog so I'm down to a trio. Going to the big Pearl River show in Columbus, MS this Saturday to see if I can find anything interesting in the sale area, fingers crossed! I'm open to Isabella, Silver, Light or Dark Brown at this point... But I probably wouldn't turn my nose up at any leghorn with good type and correct leg and ear color at this point. (And—hopefully—bright white eggs!)

Thanks for the replies guys! I've missed y'all. didn't even realize that BYC did an upgrade and logged me off....and was wondering where we all went and why no activity. Big duh...I would go to my BYC icon and see nothing -- and didn't realize I wasn't logged on.
:lau
So... it's really good to hear from hands on knowledgeable people on this subject.
If it doesn’t lay white eggs then it’s not a Leghorn
When I looked at the standard I found for Leghorns, I didn't see egg color. Maybe I just missed it. I did notice that my chooks are heavier then the Leghorn standard. My two hens come in at 5# -- and I have yet to weigh Mr. Rooster...but I bet he exceeds the 6# SOP size. It would seem that those weights come from the Legbar influence or?? Hybrid vigor although they are 1 generation away from Legbar parentage. Maybe I don't have Leghorns after all. ;)
I actually got some buffs from two different show breeders that all laid the furthest from white that ive seen besides from the MF.
There you go -- genetic influences resonate through generations. One of my variety -- (notice it isn't just my variety but it's MY variety-- LOL) lays a tinted and one a light brown -- and I have two Cinnamon Queens here that lay a darker brown -- so I have three shades of eggs going on. (I rather like knowing exactly which hen produced which egg).

Mine's eggs are definitely slightly tinted one of several reasons I think they could use another shot of good Browns bred back into them.
Yes, good insight. It is good to raise a chicken to the breed standard. In our case I wonder if the APA would ever even recognize another variety of Leghorn. They seem reluctant, to say the least to add anything to their chicken rosters.
Going to the big Pearl River show in Columbus, MS this Saturday
Good Luck -- hope you find a couple of gems and will show us picts of your new chickens.

Interesting development: Found some 55 Flowery hens. This could be interesting. I see no reason one couldn't have a lavender 55 Flowery-pattern (@The Moonshiner is this one of the Lav projects you've worked on?) but I'll have to look into it a little more.

As you said @ChicKat the APA seems reluctant to add more varieties and that's fine. I'd rather breed for production qualities and my own aesthetic preferences than someone else's anyway. So why not really have fun with it?

Back
Top Bottom