Lavender Orpington Thread

Young fella, still filling out.

My black split. Excuse the mud, took pics before putting down more straw. Bad rainy day lol

Last edited:
Smokey is roughly 6 months old now and finally growing some tail feathers. He is not very keen on the idea of being handled, but he has not been aggressive with me at all. I'd say he is the friendliest rooster I have ever had.

Smokey is roughly 6 months old now and finally growing some tail feathers. He is not very keen on the idea of being handled, but he has not been aggressive with me at all. I'd say he is the friendliest rooster I have ever had.

Wow! Smokey's got a big comb. My roo's are not lap chickens, but they also don't mind if I bend down to pick them up. Because we live in a neighborhood, I put my roos inside the garage each night. I think that's why they don't mind being picked up. They often get a little treat after I handle them - a snack when going to bed & visitation with the hens each morning. If one gets upset with the other or tries to stand up like a tough guy, I just pick them up. Hard to be a tough guy when being held like a baby, It shows them that we are dominant without the fear that we would hurt them. Thankfully mine have never fought- just some hackles flared in the spring when hormones are higher. It took about 6-8 months of the bedtime routine before they were completely limp in my arms. In the beginning I'd feel them tighten up for a couple seconds when I first would pick them up. By the time they were 12 months, they practically put themselves to bed & would let us pick them up from anywhere in the yard at anytime. (I have kids, so they help with the daily rooster routine.) Another benefit is that our roos are used to kids being in the yard. - not toddlers or kids unfamiliar with animals, though. I wouldn't trust most animals around unpredictable, awkward movements.

Hello everyone, I have 14 eggs in the incubator with a February 4th hatch date. We are very excited to have our first lavender orpingtons. I have always raised buff orpingtons and just couldn't resist getting some of the lavenders. They are not very common in our area. Found a gentleman selling eggs about an hour and a half way so we took the drive. Here is a photo of the stock that my eggs came from. I am hopeful ours will look just as good.

Hello everyone, I have 14 eggs in the incubator with a February 4th hatch date. We are very excited to have our first lavender orpingtons. I have always raised buff orpingtons and just couldn't resist getting some of the lavenders. They are not very common in our area. Found a gentleman selling eggs about an hour and a half way so we took the drive. Here is a photo of the stock that my eggs came from. I am hopeful ours will look just as good.
welcome to byc :))

They look nice. Good luck with your hatch! I wish I could find some of those around here.

Back
Top Bottom