Lavender Orpington Thread

Pics
My roo only made it to 7 months old, but he was really sweet.
He would let you come over and pet him and wasn't aggressive or anything.
Gorgeous bird.
Unfortunately he had to go to freezer camp.  I couldn't have any parts of that, had to put it all on DH.  We live in town & can't keep roosters.  He was crowing for about a month while we tried to find him a home, but no one around here can keep roosters so we were unsuccessful.
If I were able to keep roosters, I'd recommend a Lav Orp, at least from my limited experience.

Secondly, I have 2 7 month old Lav Orp girls left, why are they not laying???  I started getting little brown eggs a few weeks ago & thought for sure it was them.  But it turns out it's my 4 month old Red Sex Link.  I know they are one of the earlier breeds to lay, but the Lav Orps are my oldest I thought they'd be first.
Also, I have a BCM that hatched the same day as my Orps & she laid me 2 eggs the week of Christmas & I've never gotten anymore from her.

Are you supplying them with supplemental light? I believe hens need 14 hours of light in order to lay consistently.

Anyone selling hatching eggs or chicks around Springfield, MO. I prefer to pick up.

Thanks!

I bought my eggs on ebay & had a crazy hatch rate (Bought 12, was sent 18 & 17 hatched). Though they were from a seller in the same state. In general, all of the eggs I've gotten on ebay even from far away all had a 60-90% hatch rate. Though I have always bought the more expensive rarer breeds from high ranked sellers. I'd say it's worth a try.

Also, my pet chicken is selling Lav Orp day old chicks this year. Though they are always way over priced & their shipping is like $40.

Last edited:
Greendale Farms in Chilliwack. I buy my chicks from Heidi, in fact I will be going back to get some more orpingtons, beautiful birds.

Hi,
I just bought a dozen lavender orpington chicks and when we picked them up they looked like a dirty yellow. Now the feathers are coming in and they look yellow. Is this normal?? The people we bought them from seemed really great. The photos of chicks I see online are mostly grey, now I'm worried these are going to be yellow. I'm very new to this breed. Did this happen because they didn't breed back in the black? (I'm googling everything.) I still want to keep these darling birds, I'm just wondering if I should try breeding back in a black in the future. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Your baby chicks should be looking somewhat like this This is one of our first babies ever raised! Hope this helps you. This one is about 10 days old!

900x900px-LL-9a3801a0_lavhoney.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom