Lavender Orpington Thread

I have been hatching lavender orps for the last couple weeks. I have some zipping right now actually.

I have a black split to lavender roo with 3 lavender hens and one black split to lavender hen. The chicks that are black have some white feathers around the edges of the wing and scattered here and there.

Is it normal for black split to lavender chicks to start out with some white in their feathers and turn all black as they grow?

I have been hatching lavender orps for the last couple weeks. I have some zipping right now actually.

I have a black split to lavender roo with 3 lavender hens and one black split to lavender hen. The chicks that are black have some white feathers around the edges of the wing and scattered here and there.

Is it normal for black split to lavender chicks to start out with some white in their feathers and turn all black as they grow?
My 1st black orp (not a lav split) had a few white wing feathers as a youngster. As she grew, they must have fallen out & been replaced with black. Looking back at pics, they were gone before age 4 months. I think it's more desirable not to have them at all, She's 3.5 yrs old now & those white feathers never returned.

My 1st black orp (not a lav split) had a few white wing feathers as a youngster.  As she grew, they must have fallen out & been replaced with black.  Looking back at pics, they were gone before age 4 months.  I think it's more desirable not to have them at all,  She's 3.5 yrs old now & those white feathers never returned.

Thanks!

It looks like it just got through sayin "you talkin' to me?" So cute![/QUOTE]
lau.gif
We're not too far from Chicago, so it's an appropriate caption.

My 1st black orp (not a lav split) had a few white wing feathers as a youngster.  As she grew, they must have fallen out & been replaced with black.  Looking back at pics, they were gone before age 4 months.  I think it's more desirable not to have them at all,  She's 3.5 yrs old now & those white feathers never returned.

What does a black split look like?? And a black---is it gentically a lavender?

My black splits are completely black, greenish sheen in the sunlight. All the feathers are black though. When I got my black split roo and hen they were 4 or 5 weeks old, no white feathers showing.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the genetics...lol I'm a horse/dog professional so I'm trying to pick up on chickens and there are soooo many breeds out there it's hard to know where to start. Where does a lavender splash come into play? My pullet is mostly white with some darker feathers and a dark head, slate legs... Where is a good resource for photos/genetics?

Thank you sooo much!

My black split had some white around her head/neck until they were replaced with all black. I have one black/split hen and one full black hen. The full black, I got from a friend, she was already laying, and already fully black, so I can't say what she looked like as a chick.

I know everyone here mostly has lav orps, but I have plenty of eggs if anyone wants any! PM me!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom