Lavender Orpington Thread

Good luck on your eggs, I have more than 2 eggs but the dad is the SS on all the eggs.
LO is the big one you see. I have 2 and it is day 2.

I took the LO eggs out they were not fertile. the others were though...I guess my boy favors the other girls.

Last edited:
Hi Victoria I have 3 lavender orps i bought chicks in June 1 roo and 2 pullets the roo has been crowing for 6 weeks 8 months old and not one egg yet nice warm spring here in Arkansas do they usually take that long to lay.
Thanks and have a nice morning
Harry

All 11 of my LO eggs are developing!! Day 8 today
yippiechickie.gif

Hi Victoria I have 3 lavender orps i bought chicks in June 1 roo and 2 pullets the roo has been crowing for 6 weeks 8 months old and not one egg yet nice warm spring here in Arkansas do they usually take that long to lay.
Thanks and have a nice morning
Harry
Yes, they're slow to mature. It also depends on the season (#hrs of daylight). I had a lav orp take 9 months to lay her 1st egg, so hang in there. I've never had one lay an egg sooner than 7 months. Mine are very, very big birds. They continue to grow until about a year old. My roos don't completely fill out until 18 months.... but boy are they spectacular when they do!

All 11 of my LO eggs are developing!! Day 8 today
yippiechickie.gif
Congrats! Hope you have a great hatch!

Our daughter has some backyard orp & as well as some shipped eggs in the incubator right now. The poor shipped eggs came up from TX to IL. They not only drove around in a bouncy mail truck for 6 hrs before delivery, but it was on a day when the temps dropped to 17'F. The next day it warmed back up to 40'F.
barnie.gif

Anyway, they arrived partially frozen, so they sat for 24 hrs before going into the incubator. Surprisingly, 6 out of 8 started developing! All 6 are still alive & due to hatch in 5 days. They must raise some pretty tough birds down in Texas!

Yes, they're slow to mature. It also depends on the season (#hrs of daylight). I had a lav orp take 9 months to lay her 1st egg, so hang in there. I've never had one lay an egg sooner than 7 months. Mine are very, very big birds. They continue to grow until about a year old. My roos don't completely fill out until 18 months.... but boy are they spectacular when they do!

Ok thanks I will just keep waiting
Harry

Back
Top Bottom