Lavender Orpington Thread

Maui- 5 weeks old. She's pretty, but hates anything that moves lol

Last edited:
@flaisure it's very difficult to tell with Lavender Orpingtons, I think the best sign is when you see saddle feathers that means it's a Cockerel. That is the clearest earliest gender sign in mine.

When do those come in? My brain isn't working to remember...(toddler twin mom problems....lol)
Oh My! You are a busy woman!

The comb is large - but not large enough to confirm male & certainly not pink enough. Even my female lav orps (on left) have a touch of pink.
Here are some pics I took when my orps were about 7 weeks.

In SOME lines, the males feather out slower, but I wouldn't consider a shorter tail to automatically mean a male. That's not true with my orps, & the orps with that trait are usually bred for it. With mine, it's all about the comb & wattles. My orp males begin to grow their combs very early and those pink wattles drop down.

Oh My! You are a busy woman! The comb is large - but not large enough to confirm male & certainly not pink enough. Even my female lav orps (on left) have a touch of pink. Here are some pics I took when my orps were about 7 weeks. In SOME lines, the males feather out slower, but I wouldn't consider a shorter tail to automatically mean a male. That's not true with my orps, & the orps with that trait are usually bred for it. With mine, it's all about the comb & wattles. My orp males begin to grow their combs very early and those pink wattles drop down.
They are gorgeous!! See, mine hardly has wattles and isn't red at all yet for being 6.5 weeks old. I was told it's a roo because the tail is sticking straight up...I am second guessing everything! When do saddle feathers come in? I have read they are pointy instead of rounded in a pullet...

@flaisure it's very difficult to tell with Lavender Orpingtons, I think the best sign is when you see saddle feathers that means it's a Cockerel. That is the clearest earliest gender sign in mine.

Thank you. I will keep an eye out. Do you know at what age they start crowing? I had a BLRW rooster before and it started crowing at 8 weeks.

If I remember correctly mine start showing around 12 weeks. very clear difference by 16 weeks as pictured. Pretty sure we get some "crowing" by 12 weeks as well, at least strange, disturbing screaming... that eventually sounds like crowing
lol.png

These are 16 weeks with clear saddle feathers and you can see the difference in comb and waddles, our pullets have smaller combs than some strains of Lavender Orpington though.

If I remember correctly mine start showing around 12 weeks. very clear difference by 16 weeks as pictured. Pretty sure we get some "crowing" by 12 weeks as well, at least strange, disturbing screaming... that eventually sounds like crowing :lol: These are 16 weeks with clear saddle feathers and you can see the difference in comb and waddles, our pullets have smaller combs than some strains of Lavender Orpington though.
Thank you so much!!!

Back
Top Bottom