Lavender patterned Isabel duckwing barred - lavender brown cuckoo barred - project and genetic dis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
cute Leghorn - is that an Exchecquer? I've aleays thought that they were exceptionally pretty birds.
Honestly I'm not sure exactly what it is. No exchequer or mottling in its back ground.
I believe it is barred though.
Both parents are cuckoo crossed with silver.
The rooster had some white tail and wing feathers and the mother has some random white splotches.
I threw them together just for fun. I hatched one that is black on top and white on bottom and then this one. They are still young so I'm waiting to see if they mature out like an exchequer or what. Some projects are planned out and sometimes mother nature throws in a curve ball just to keep things interesting.

cute Leghorn - is that an Exchecquer? I've aleays thought that they were exceptionally pretty birds.
I love the exchequer but as of now I've stopped all breeding of them.
I can't find any worth a $h!t. I bred what I had into their 3rd generation and still had poor quality.
Hoping to secure some in the future and work with them again.
Or if these turn out to be simular or the same I will work with them.
All I've had were small for leghorns. Also a lot of combs with too many points and hard to maintain the nice yellow legs.

All I've had were small for leghorns. Also a lot of combs with too many points and hard to maintain the nice yellow legs.
There may be an as yet unknown variety there.

Know what? In my mind, I'm always thinking -- this next generation will be "better". Sometimes I will wonder if my human interference will not have the expected effect.

Interestingly, my oldest resident here is a Cream Legbar that's passed her 6th birthday and she still lays. She had a poopy butt (TMI I know) and I was so proud of how good she looked after I gave her a bath -- and she left me an egg in the pet carrier I had her in - so, zero doubt it was hers. That being said, her egg size is getting smaller. I think that her frequency and her size of eggs is diminishing. Well and good (I didn't even know they could live that long)---

My "favorite" project hen has started to lay smaller eggs. She's pretty much a daily layer, but the eggs seem to be under 2oz. now. So as much as I like her type best, her egg size is the worst. But her look and color are the best. Regarding using her for a breeder, then 1/2 her genetics have her pattern, and the cockerel passes along what his sisters have. Same with the looks - but that factor from the male is at least visible --good barring, good coloration, low tail angle, long back. You just never know 100%. Part of the challenge isn't it?
:th
If it was just about eggs, then she shouldn't be selected for breeding. On the other end of the spectrum, someone (Or ones) produce double yolks -- huge eggs that are 3.4 oz. Depending on your usage, (baking is my example) -- double yolks aren't always desirable.
P1070361.JPG

ETA - The reason I aim for 2oz to 2.25 eggs is that is what recipies call for generally. I know for some people 'the bigger the better' -- Those double yolks were good breakfast eggs.

Last edited:
Hi BramaChicken5000 --- Going to do a lockdown today.Seems that the incubator I put them in first didn't start them developing, heat problem, so I switced to a different incubator. -- Not sure how this hatch will go. (Isn't it always like that?) -- but I think the eggs sat at 90-degrees for 4 1/2 days and when I candled didn't look like anything had started. Soooo the good ole fingers crossed tick-tock-tick-tock. :fl

So it was -
1. Set eggs 4/4
2 Check eggs 4/9 and "reset" eggs
3. Now thinking that the 29th or 30th may be hatch day.
If none hatch I will attribute it to my screw up -- :oops:. If any do hatch, it will be the robustness and vigor of the chicks that can overcome adversity. LOL.

Have pulled 4 and not sure about a few others. Some look way behind when I candled them this morning, like they had only been developing for a little while, but I could see movement inside those and even sometimes blood going through the veins. -- But others look solid and only can see the airsac -- so I think the ones that are behind aren't going to make it.

:frowThanks for asking -- Monday should be hatchday from the second setting......

Good luck Kat!
:flHoping for lots of chicks!
How many total did you set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom