Lavender to Splash Orpington - who's done it, and what were the results?

What does the phrase, "They will be split for lavender" mean? I'm trying to learn more about genetics. TIA!
Lavender is a recessive gene so it takes two copies to show. If a bird has one copy it won't show. You can't tell it has it by looking at the bird.
When a bird carries a recessive gene sight unseen like that its often referred to as being "split" for it.

Those are just splashes. Here a splash Cochin for comparison

20200919_091652.jpg

My lavender splash English orpington hens lay pink eggs. I have hatched out dozen of their eggs. As I had both a lavender splash roo and a blue orpington roo I could not confirm sire. Now I only have the one English lavender splash roo. I will be gathering their eggs in 20 days and hatch them out to really see what % is. My hens had very pale pink combs for months. Now at over 14 months old they are more red. But the chicks have pale combs like the hens.

first pic are my 2 English lavender splash hens. The roo initially had irridescent dark purple splash on him.
The second picture shows a lavender splash hen pullet next to a white breese bred pullet. Pullets are 70 days old here. The splash is definitely not white.

first pic are my 2 English lavender splash hens. The roo initially had irridescent dark purple splash on him.
The second picture shows a lavender splash hen pullet next to a white breese bred pullet. Pullets are 70 days old here. The splash is definitely not white.
They aren’t lavender, they’re just splash.

Back
Top Bottom