Laying wire cloth under a run - any advice?

kristofandmama

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 21, 2015
I'm working on my design for my first coop and run and I'd really like to bury wire cloth under the run to prevent foxes from get in from below. I had buried fencing into a trench around the perimeter when I laid out my vegetable garden and it was truly agony. CT soil is glacial and very rocky.

What I envision is to dig up a layer of topsoil, much like cutting sod, putting down a layer of wire cloth and then putting the sod layer back over it. I'd turn up the four sides of the wire and sandwich it between the base board and my run framing wall. Although I realize the grass would be gone fast, it'd be nice to start them out with a 'lawn.' Or combine the grass with a sand filled area.

Has anyone done this? What material would serve this purpose best. I would not want to go through that if the wire would corrode and disintegrate underground.

I'd appreciate any insights or knowledge. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply and the link to the thread. I knew I couldn't be the only person with this question!
It's very helpful. It seems that burying hardware cloth is enough and will probably last a few years.

I have an active and extensive fox den in my back yard. Plus miles of woodchuck tunnels. I don't fear the dogs, I fear the foxes and I don't think an apron will outsmart them.

Are you wanting to basically have a wire sub-floor for the run?

If I was going to do that, I'd put the wire on the ground inside the run, attach it to the walls, and then dump a couple of loads of topsoil on top of it. It'll achieve the same purpose and the 'raised bed' of the run will help with drainage.

for long term benefit, look for "galvanized after the weld" wire.

On some of my pens, I have 3' trenches around the edge that have hardware cloth going down beneath the ground. This works too.

Thank you! Just the info I was looking for.
There is no way I'm digging down three feet. It would kill me.
th.gif

I am so excited to see this posting! We are going to put the hardware cloth on the "floor" of our coop and run also. DH and I were just discussing last night how this was going to work for us. Thank you yellowchicks for your picture. Now I can show him what it looks like!!

Yay! Problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom