ClucksAndCombs

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
New England
Hello,

First of all, I really am sorry to ask the strangest question on earth. but, it's kinda been driving me crazy for a month, and today I've decided to ask. (Google was not helpful)

But, is there such thing as chickens having a dominant foot? For example, when scratching dirt, I have noticed some chickens use different feet. Usually, the chicken would start scratching with that same foot each time.

I did a little study (no how professional) and here are my findings on what foot they started on:

Chicken #1 (Della Roo): Left, Left, Left
Chicken #2 (Leia): Right, Right, Left
Chicken #3 (Padme): Left, Left, Left
Chicken #4 (Jasmine): Left, Right, Left
Chicken #5 (Cinnamon): Right, Right, Right

And then I kinda just gave up on the other seven chocks.

So, is it true that chickens can be a rightie or leftie? Or do chickens alter feet depending on... reasons? Or am I just going insane?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Wow, never thought about it.
I love it that you set out with your chickens an study them so intently.
Kind of relaxing isant it.
I went out with my morning coffee yesterday morning and had some leftover popcorn from the night before. I let my chickens out and watched as the rooster personally gave each of his girls at least one piece, even though they are right there and can get it themselves.....next thing i knew my coffee was cold...

OOH! I´m gonna try that with my chooks! I only have 2 so I´ll do three on each chook to see if it really works!

Sephora: Right, Left, Left
Con-cluck-sion: There is a pattern showing Sephora favors her left leg, but still uses her right leg.
Bubblegum: Right, Left, Left
Bubblegum: Right, Right, Left
Bubblegum: Right, Right, Right
Con-cluck-sion: There is a pattern showing Bubblegum favors her right leg, but still uses her left leg.

How I did it:
1. I took out Sephora by her self.
2. I recorded her scratching.
3. I put her away.
4. I repeated with Bubblegum.
5. I let them pecl around!

Back
Top Bottom