Leg Bands

bigredfeather

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Yorkshire, Ohio
I am wanting to get legbands for my chickens. I would like to get various sizes (from chick to large adult) and various colors without buying a large quantity. Most places I've seen, you have to buy from 50-100 of each color/size.

Has anyone found somewhere you can get a variety pack as described above?

Thanks.

I have been trying to find some too. I don't like the plastic spirals, they chicks grow so fast and they are hard to get off and eventually will stick the babys legs if you don't watch.

Murry Mcmurray Hatchery sales leg bands and bandettes. Bandettes are Bags of 25 all the same color, and band bags of 50 all the same color but all with different numbers on each of them......I was thinking about getting some of those. I don't know if that would work. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
We use the colored zip ties. You can find them in different sizes at most hardware stores and feed stores.
There use to be a person on Ebay that sold various size and quanities of the spiral leg bands.
Sharon

Quote:
I know some may like the zip ties. But, time gets away from us and those zip ties can harm your growing chicken.

Heirch feed and farm sells them individually. Just ask.

I think if you just have a few chicks like me, and you are inspecting and caring for them regularly, the zip-ties work fine. We put them on as loose as possible--just tight enough to keep that back toe from getting caught in it. I haven't had any problem. Chicks do grow fast, and I would think that even with any of those "official" bird bands that come in sizes, you will still have to monitor them.

Purchasing some large quantity--or even just 25--to use for just a couple weeks just sounded crazy to me, so we have 5 different color zip ties that we're using on four different breeds. The most I have in one breed is 9, so we have 5 with a single zip-tie and the rest have doubled colors to differentiate.

We may eventually get a small quantity of those official bands when they are all fully grown, but until then, we're being cheap....
big_smile.png

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom