Leg Bands

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bigredfeather, May 14, 2009.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I am wanting to get legbands for my chickens. I would like to get various sizes (from chick to large adult) and various colors without buying a large quantity. Most places I've seen, you have to buy from 50-100 of each color/size.

Has anyone found somewhere you can get a variety pack as described above?

Thanks.

2. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    I have been trying to find some too. I don't like the plastic spirals, they chicks grow so fast and they are hard to get off and eventually will stick the babys legs if you don't watch.

3. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Murry Mcmurray Hatchery sales leg bands and bandettes. Bandettes are Bags of 25 all the same color, and band bags of 50 all the same color but all with different numbers on each of them......I was thinking about getting some of those. I don't know if that would work. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
  4. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    cutlersupply.com has the better assorment on them. They carry the number up over 25.

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    We use the colored zip ties. You can find them in different sizes at most hardware stores and feed stores.
    There use to be a person on Ebay that sold various size and quanities of the spiral leg bands.
    Sharon

6. Quote:I know some may like the zip ties. But, time gets away from us and those zip ties can harm your growing chicken.

Heirch feed and farm sells them individually. Just ask.

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    www.nationalband.com

manufacturers not a supply house, I order leg bands with my name and address on them.

8. livin-green

livin-green Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Clay, Alabama
    Quote:I know some may like the zip ties. But, time gets away from us and those zip ties can harm your growing chicken.

Heirch feed and farm sells them individually. Just ask.

I think if you just have a few chicks like me, and you are inspecting and caring for them regularly, the zip-ties work fine. We put them on as loose as possible--just tight enough to keep that back toe from getting caught in it. I haven't had any problem. Chicks do grow fast, and I would think that even with any of those "official" bird bands that come in sizes, you will still have to monitor them.

Purchasing some large quantity--or even just 25--to use for just a couple weeks just sounded crazy to me, so we have 5 different color zip ties that we're using on four different breeds. The most I have in one breed is 9, so we have 5 with a single zip-tie and the rest have doubled colors to differentiate.

We may eventually get a small quantity of those official bands when they are all fully grown, but until then, we're being cheap....[​IMG]

Hope that helps!

9. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    I get mine at Foye's pigeon supplies. They are always courteous and have fast shipping.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  10. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by