Leghorns not laying

cgar13

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2017
Hey guys,

I've got 3 leghorns and 2 australorp hens. My leghorns haven't been laying very well laitly. The australorp hens still lay daily. Any ideas on what may be going on with the leghorns?

Lack of production can have many different causes, if you tell us a bit more about your birds we may be able to help you narrow it down. How old are the birds in question? What is your general location? Are your birds confined 24/7 to a secure coop and run or do they free range for all or part of each day? What is your feed program? The answers to these questions will help us start towards the root cause of your problem.

Our hens are a year old, they are in a coop all day. I built a new coop about a month ago it's 6x10 and about 7' tall with roosts and roosting boxes. I've got a 5 gallon waterer and a hanging feeder. We feed them the Natures Best Organic Egg Layer Crumbles. Every now and then we will throw a few handfuls of the scratch grains and the chicken party mix with oats and mealworms. Occasionally we will give them a treat square as well.

Thank for your help!

Also we live in south eastern New Mexico. Weather has been in the 80s laitly with lows in the 40s

Definitely I've only got half the roof covered with sheet metal over their roosting boxes to keep the rain off. The sides are chicken wire also.

Back
Top Bottom