Lethargic 4 week old Brahma chick. Help!

BrahmaMom1797

Songster
May 18, 2017
I have a few nearly four week babies, all of them are happy and healthy, but one of the girls seems a bit sad. She started peeping extra loud than getting puffy and just seeming a bit uncomfortable, it doesn’t seem to be too hot or cold, and she’s being handled on her own terms. They’re not over crowded so it’s not likely stress. She’s seeking affection a lot. In the past hour she’s quieted down and has drank a lot of water and lost interest in her food. Poop is runny with little to no solids in it.
I’ve owned chickens for a while now and have a variety of breeds who have struggled with a variety of issues here and there, but not enough to have the issues solved to every problem that pops up. Any help and advice is appreciated. I’ll attach some photos in order of being taken. (Also posted in chick care forum)
BE35DC07-1720-4A0F-8D25-DE1D6EF432D8.jpeg
FB0414D8-472B-45C4-B0CE-DCF9C8E8D333.jpeg
A7AB74E0-E155-4355-A6D8-255F6E41360A.jpeg
29431D97-761E-4A2B-8C44-B073A0D7D07A.jpeg

one of the girls seems a bit sad. She started peeping extra loud than getting puffy and just seeming a bit uncomfortable, it doesn’t seem to be too hot or cold
In the past hour she’s quieted down and has drank a lot of water and lost interest in her food. Poop is runny with little to no solids in it.
Can you get some photos of her poop?
What's her crop like? Drinking a lot of water - I would check that crop.

At 4 weeks she may be suffering from Coccidiosis - do you have any Corid on hand?

Can you get some photos of her poop?

At 4 weeks she may be suffering from Coccidiosis - do you have any Corid on hand?
I thought she may be suffering from it as well so I started her and her brood mates on corid. Her crop was empty most of the morning but I have gotten her to eat and drink and it’s fuller now, a little squishy but I think it’s because she’s had mostly liquid and just got her interest in harder foods back, but not fully. She’s much happier sounding now, but still a little more sleepy than our other girls. She had some egg yolk and a little bit of sugar water. She went from being super clumsy to jumping from the ground to my knee. When she next poops, I’ll try to get a picture. No blood in her stool so far as I’ve seen.

I thought she may be suffering from it as well so I started her and her brood mates on corid. Her crop was empty most of the morning but I have gotten her to eat and drink and it’s fuller now, a little squishy but I think it’s because she’s had mostly liquid and just got her interest in harder foods back, but not fully. She’s much happier sounding now, but still a little more sleepy than our other girls. She had some egg yolk and a little bit of sugar water. She went from being super clumsy to jumping from the ground to my knee. When she next poops, I’ll try to get a picture. No blood in her stool so far as I’ve seen.
How many days and what dosage of Corid are you giving?

I would encourage her to eat her normal feed, check the crop for several mornings in a row - it should be empty before she eats/drinks.

How many days and what dosage of Corid are you giving?

I would encourage her to eat her normal feed, check the crop for several mornings in a row - it should be empty before she eats/drinks.
I just started today with the corid and I have a gallon with two teaspoons as recommended in a couple other threads.
The yolk was used off of other recommendations for a little boost hopefully to help her poop if she’s constipated. Her regular feed is open to her at any time she’s interested and is being encouraged for her to eat more than any other snacks or food related remedies.
Thank you for your advice, I’ll keep you updated hopefully with good news. :)

She’s eating pretty avidly now. Could bullying or crowding have caused this? Some of their bigger fully feathered brood mates are moving out and since they went to their outside pen, she’s been doing just a bit better, noticeably but not 100%. Or is she just sick and the other bigger birds were just pushing her away from food and water because she was too weak to get what she needs?
I read a few thing suggesting that could’ve been the issue but I’m not exactly sure it could’ve been. She went from being on the group’s strongest to sad.

Agreed, sounds like crop/gizzard concern.. followed by the possibility of coccidiosis.

What is being fed on regular basis including treats and supplements?

Runny poops can be caused by excess water intake.. possibly she was working to clear a blockage and it has passed now?? :fl

Agreed, sounds like crop/gizzard concern.. followed by the possibility of coccidiosis.

What is being fed on regular basis including treats and supplements?

Runny poops can be caused by excess water intake.. possibly she was working to clear a blockage and it has passed now?? :fl
Last post I tried to reply with deleted suddenly, so I’m unsure if it sent. She’s eating much more now after that last poop and her energy seems to be getting better and better.
She and her brood mates eat unmedicated food. They get fresh fruit and veggies around once a week. Their water gets electrolytes and vitamins once every two weeks about.
Hoping this was just an issue with discomfort and not any type of big sickness!
Will update if her health drops again, but things are starting to look a bit more hopeful!
Thank you for your advice and help!

Little update: little lady goes between happier and to loud and sleepy again. Drinking the water with corid and still picking at food on and off. Crop is good still and she’s finally sleeping while laying down and not standing and uncomfortable. Definitely slower than the others still but not being trampled of pushed around as much.

Back
Top Bottom