Lethargic and Wobbly, with open mouth breathing

cwgrl4life

Hatching
Jun 7, 2023
I have a 3 mo old Easter Egger who is sick. She is super lethargic and weak/tips over (if I push her she just tips over,) She also almost pants like she’s hot, and this did start on Sunday when it was in the 90’s (northern IL) but today it’s a high of only 72. She doesn’t have any other obvious physical symptoms.

Sunday I separated her and gave her electrolytes and by Monday she seemed to have perked up slightly, but today (Wednesday) it appears she is getting weaker. She eats and drinks, but that is also starting to decline. No mites/lice, no fecal issues, no water belly, or impacted crop that I can tell. No audible breathing. I was worried about coccidiosis at first, but she doesn’t have the standard ‘stance’ and poop has been normal. Everything I’ve read that matches her symptoms points to either heat stress or a deficiency of some kind (vitamin/mineral) but I really don’t know. I added poultry cell to her water, but no significant change.

She is fed Nutrena chick starter/grower (non-medicated) as she has yet to start laying eggs.

Any help is appreciated to help me save my sweet girl!

A picture of her typical poops and herself might help. Is her tail up or down? Is she low in the pecking order, or could she be kept from food and water by the others? I place shallow flat pans of shaded water around my coop for the chickens to stand in and cool their legs. That way everyone gets a chance to drink plenty of fluids too. I would offer some watery mushy chick fee along with a little scrambled egg bits.

A picture of her typical poops and herself might help. Is her tail up or down? Is she low in the pecking order, or could she be kept from food and water by the others? I place shallow flat pans of shaded water around my coop for the chickens to stand in and cool their legs. That way everyone gets a chance to drink plenty of fluids too. I would offer some watery mushy chick fee along with a little scrambled egg bits.
Tail is up when she lays down, but is down when she is standing (the pic I have makes it look super down, but it’s not like that all the time.) I will try and get a picture of her poop, but it’s overall normal as I’ve been watching closely for signs of coccidiosis. Today she also just started having a small rasp in some of her breaths that wasn’t there before, so this might be respiratory? Every time I put her by her water she drinks without issue, so at least I know she’s staying hydrated. I got some Vit E and Selenium paste that I gave her about 1-2g dosage which I plan to repeat. She’s still on poultry cell in her water.

Attachments

• 2F141ED1-A41B-4B01-B5D8-3125772F0214.jpeg
    2F141ED1-A41B-4B01-B5D8-3125772F0214.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 8E00ADED-639A-4F38-BA05-BD65B114F81F.jpeg
    8E00ADED-639A-4F38-BA05-BD65B114F81F.jpeg
    378.2 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom