Lethargic Cornish meat birds. Purple comb, dying.

ThePinksters

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2020
Hello!
I have lost 4 Cornish cross in the last 3 days. They are 5 weeks old, outside in tractor. Water, move and feed every day. 24/7 food. In Michigan where temps are fluctuating right now. Removed heat a weeks ago.
found two dead 3 days ago, another the following day and another this morning. No evidence of predation. Noticed two others now are smaller, lethargic and combs are purple, and bodies are a bit purple too, poop is runny and kind of yellowish-green. This is my first year with meat birds, we’ve had layers for a full year now without any problems, so I’m at a loss. Will attach photos.

Attachments

• FABB5BFF-3437-4055-985B-86A68B714EB5.jpeg
    FABB5BFF-3437-4055-985B-86A68B714EB5.jpeg
    556.6 KB · Views: 112
  • A7A37FA7-04AE-4093-9DB7-41D06294EEE5.jpeg
    A7A37FA7-04AE-4093-9DB7-41D06294EEE5.jpeg
    825 KB · Views: 37
  • F2B6203A-BDD7-49A3-9391-F910D0C337A7.jpeg
    F2B6203A-BDD7-49A3-9391-F910D0C337A7.jpeg
    667.1 KB · Views: 35
I know that meat birds are susceptible to respiratory illnesses. Is there any wheezing, eye swelling, nasal or mouth discharge, or discharge from the eyes? How do their poops look?

Hello!
I have lost 4 Cornish cross in the last 3 days. They are 5 weeks old, outside in tractor. Water, move and feed every day. 24/7 food. In Michigan where temps are fluctuating right now. Removed heat a weeks ago.
found two dead 3 days ago, another the following day and another this morning. No evidence of predation. Noticed two others now are smaller, lethargic and combs are purple, and bodies are a bit purple too, poop is runny and kind of yellowish-green. This is my first year with meat birds, we’ve had layers for a full year now without any problems, so I’m at a loss. Will attach photos.
I would assume they had heart attacks or some kind of heart failure based on your description of the purple combs and lethargy. Cornish X aren't made to live past a certain point and can develop some pretty severe health issues. 5 weeks is a bit early but 8-9 weeks is about when they become immobile and have difficulties (butchering age).

I would assume they had heart attacks or some kind of heart failure based on your description of the purple combs and lethargy. Cornish X aren't made to live past a certain point and can develop some pretty severe health issues. 5 weeks is a bit early but 8-9 weeks is about when they become immobile and have difficulties (butchering age).
These are also the smaller ones of the flock...they all started out the same size, but these smaller ones are the ones having problems. I have three that aren’t doing well today, and I’m guessing they’ll die at some point tonight. Just wondering if I need to quarantine or get the others away from the sick ones.
I know that meat birds are susceptible to respiratory illnesses. Is there any wheezing, eye swelling, nasal or mouth discharge, or discharge from the eyes? How do their poops look?
poops are liquid and yellowish-green. Not normal. Possibly respiratory....there are some possible wheezy noises coming from the flock, but not the ones that seem ill. No other discharge from mouths, eyes or nose. They are dry.

Sounds like Pasteurella multocida.
Highly contagious most die within hours of symptoms. See how they are keeping ruffled feathers, that's one of the main signs. Besides swollen/discolored combs, and diarrhea.
Definitely separate out birds.

So sorry!
Consider having some testing done on a newly dead or dying bird.
Cornishx birds are fragile, and often die of either heart failure or severe joint problems, although usually a few weeks older. The hot weather we had recently may not have helped, and if you were full feeding, rather than restricting feed to eight or ten hours per day, that can be a problem too.
When we restricted feed to ten hours per day, the poor little guys did do better, and lived to eight weeks and the freezer.
Consider Freedom Ranger types next time; they take longer and so cost more, but get to be normal chickens for those ten to twelve weeks.
Mary

It could be anything really, but since these are Cornish cross meat birds, it is most likely heart related issues such as congestive heart failure or heart disease or even an enlarged heart. This also could be caused by Fowl Cholera, a blockage or respiratory issue or like I mentioned, heart related issues.

Back
Top Bottom