Lethargic duckling with neck contracted against body

Pics

astrickler

Chirping
Aug 18, 2019
I have an approximately 6 week old pekin duckling. She was perfectly fine yesterday. Today her neck is contracted against her body and she seems pretty lethargic. I tried extending her neck and she almost acted as if she was in pain. I’ve tried getting her into a vet but nobody can get her in till Saturday! Any ideas and input would be appreciated!

Her neck is not twisted, she just has it contracted against her body and does not want to extend it. She was laying next to the water bowl sipping water so at least I know she’s drinking some. She was with 2 other ducklings that are 1 week older than her (but they are smaller) and they are fine. She is separated now and in my bathroom.

@Miss Lydia
Here is how she is holding her neck. I just got home and apparently she had fallen over on her back and couldn’t get back up on her own. What could be causing this???

Attachments

• D24917B2-0BA4-4E6E-A98A-4A0E4FB10565.jpeg
    D24917B2-0BA4-4E6E-A98A-4A0E4FB10565.jpeg
    390.7 KB · Views: 20
Is a vet an option? tell us what you feed and do they have access to the outside? Any chance she could have eaten something toxic stagnant water, gotten into anything rotten? Never any problems till now? have you given any vitamin supplements like niacin or b complex?

@Miss Lydia
Just last week that had been put outside, but they are not free ranging. They are in a large cage with straw. The are currently on a grower feed. I took them off the 20% protein feed to a 16% because one was getting angel wing. I have not supplemented them with any vitamins. I added alfalfa pellets recently due to the angel wing in another duckling. I’ve tried getting to the vet, but put of all the vets in my area that see ducks none of them are available until Saturday. This is my 4th set of ducklings (I currently have 16 ducks) and have never had this before.

Back
Top Bottom