lethargic rooster,quit crowing,maybe impacted crop

effie

Songster
8 Years
Mar 5, 2011
West(by god) Virginia
My rooster quit crowing a few days ago and he keeps to himself. He stands kinda hunched up with head pulled in. He has quit crowing and stays to himself. My husband and I checked him last night on the roost and he has a bump on his chest on one side that you can put your fingers around about the size of a golfball. You can feel something in there. Sooo, I have seen the video on here where the lady actually operated on her chicken and cut it open and took the stuff out and sewed it back up. I am leaning that way if I can get what I need from my vet---any suggestions???

Have you checked him this morning? Did the "bump" go away or get smaller? I doubt it's an impacted crop as golf ball size is tiny compared to how large their crop usually gets. Before you take the drastic measure of surgery, you need to take some other steps. First, if the "golf ball" is still there, you might give your guy some olive oil in a dropper and attempt to massage the lump to separate it. Like I said, that's a TINY lump compare to what an impaction would be. Is he eating/drinking?? Next, I would check him over very well, especially his vent, for lice/mites. If you find any, you'll need to take all the steps necessary to eradicate them. If no lice/mites, and you can fine no other reason for his lethargy, I would worm him (and probably all the others) with Valbazen (do a search for Valbazen posts made by dawg53). Parasites will suck the life out of your rooster VERY quickly.

So what ended up being the issue here bc my rooster started this a few days ago. I just took him inside and he started crowing.

Back
Top Bottom