Lethargic rooster. Sitting/sleeping with beak in the ground.

I just found a source for corid. I’ll be picking some up today. Also noticed bloody poop this morning.
No bird vets in my area so I won’t be able to get him a shot of antibiotics. What’s the best way to administer, and any idea of the dosage. I suppose I can google it.
Thanks again!

Where are you located, TropicalBabies?

I just found a source for corid. I’ll be picking some up today. Also noticed bloody poop this morning.
No bird vets in my area so I won’t be able to get him a shot of antibiotics. What’s the best way to administer, and any idea of the dosage. I suppose I can google it.
Thanks again!

Can you post a photo of the Corid package you get?

Thanks again!

I'm in Hawaii. Very similar climate to yours.

@Lankplank what do you have available to you?
Corid (Amprolium), Coxoid (Amprolium), Sulmet ? These can be used to treat Coccidia.

If you are going to give antibiotics in addition to a Coccidiostat, you will want to make sure there are no contraindications.

I do agree, treating with Amprolium (Corid) is a good idea.

I'm sorry but I disagree with the rest of your instructions. While Corid is mild and is not harmful, the dosage amounts given are too much.

Direct oral drench of Liquid Corid is 0.10ml per pound of weight for up to 3 days.
Direct oral drench of Powdered Corid is to mix 1/2 teaspoon of powder to 2 teaspoons of water - give 0.34ml per pound of weight for up to 3 days.

The Direct Oral Drench is in addition to the mixed Corid water:
Mix 1 1/2 teaspoons of Corid liquid to 1 gallon of water or 2 teaspoons of Corid Powder to 1 gallon of water - give as the only source of drinking water for 5-7 days.
Thanks for correcting me. That was from memory and I thought I was right on. Should have refereed to my cheat sheet. I do , in extreem cases such as her roo give a corrid drench of 3 mils. with a follow up of corid and water. we get some real bad parasites and that has really worked well for me. Sorry if it is bad info.

So upsetting. I didn’t move fast enough. By the time I found a place that had the product I posted above, driving quite a ways to pick it up, and also stopping by a few pharmacies to try to get antibiotics (most won’t give you any without a prescription) I got back just in time to see him check out. I should have been better prepared for something like this. I’m super upset with the lack of resources available here but mostly upset with myself.
I’m going to dose the water for the rest of my flock and keep a close eye on them.
Thank you all for your help. Wish I could have learned this lesson without losing a bird.

So upsetting. I didn’t move fast enough. By the time I found a place that had the product I posted above, driving quite a ways to pick it up, and also stopping by a few pharmacies to try to get antibiotics (most won’t give you any without a prescription) I got back just in time to see him check out. I should have been better prepared for something like this. I’m super upset with the lack of resources available here but mostly upset with myself.
I’m going to dose the water for the rest of my flock and keep a close eye on them.
Thank you all for your help. Wish I could have learned this lesson without losing a bird.
I'm so sorry. You did the right thing to jump on BYC to try to find some answers. You will save other chickens with your new found info. Sorry the real experts were not able to answer you sooner. We learn as we go. Best of luck to you and welcome to BYC. :D

I'm sorry for your loss :hugs

I don't know if he does or not. I was judging on his looks and the poop next to him and your wet weather and him scratching around. That is a perfect combo for parasites.
I have in the past given my birds Tepox 48. Think it comes from the Philippines. Actually yes. get him started omn antibiotics cuz it can't hurt- may help. keep looking for Corid or something with amprolium.

Back
Top Bottom