lethargic shaky hen - HELP!

chickenmamafl

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2023
Hey all, I am in desperate need of some advice.
I have a 4.5 month old sebright bantam hen that is extremely lethargic. She’s been like this for some time and I kept thinking maybe she was just tired.
Well, every time I google “lethargic chicken” pretty much the only thing that comes up is coccidiosis…
She is droopy, her eyes are always either closed or half closed/squinted.
At times she seems uninterested in hanging out with the rest of the flock until bedtime when she tries to get underneath them.
But, she doesn’t have bloody stool. She has what I’m assuming is a normal mix of solid and soft poops.
She still has a hefty appetite and loves drinking water.
She does have little bouts of pecking around in the coop and clucking but it’s usually followed promptly by a nap.
She still preens.
She doesn’t have any bad odor coming off of her.
Her comb and face are pale. But, I don’t remember her face ever turning red like the others did..
This past week I’ve noticed when I pick her up her head and neck starts trembling.
I also noticed that she had some feather mites last weekend and saw one shaft louse on her but i wouldn’t consider her to be infested. I would say maybe a mild to moderate amount of bugs.
I treated the whole gang with MannaPro Poultry Protector spray last weekend, then the next day I dusted them all with DE and thoroughly cleaned the coop.
I haven’t seen anymore bugs on her specifically. So I was wondering at first if perhaps she was anemic? I was wondering if her being so small the amount of parasites she did have could have affected her far worse than the rest of the flock? She is the smallest of the bunch.
So with that idea in mind, I gave her some Poultry Cell in her water yesterday and then this morning when I checked on her she was laying on the ground and she felt a little chilled when I picked her up. Which is weird cause it’s July in FL.
So I gave her about .5cc of Poultry Cell straight not diluted in a gal of water.
I kept her inside in a cage with a lamp and food and water that i diluted the Poultry Cell in again.
I came home from work and she’s up and moving around again and not cold to the touch.
But it seems like her condition goes up and down! Better, worse, better, worse.
She never runs around and chases bugs like the others. Just slowly walks around squinting all the time :(
Then I noticed her have a solid black jelly textured poop a little bit ago, assuming it’s black from all the iron in the poultry cell?

If anyone can shed some light on this I would be so eternally grateful. My 10y/o & I love this chicken very much so I am trying to keep her alive!

Attachments

• IMG_5582.jpeg
    IMG_5582.jpeg
    660.7 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5669.jpeg
    IMG_5669.jpeg
    714.1 KB · Views: 10
"I treated the whole gang with MannaPro Poultry Protector spray last weekend, then the next day I dusted them all with DE and thoroughly cleaned the coop."
Neither of these two things are going to get rid of lice and or mites.
You saw both mites and lice?

You have a heat lamp on this bird?
What is the temp under the heat lamp?
Make sure you're not killing her with heat.

What exactly have you been feeding and have you brought any new birds home in the last few months?

"I treated the whole gang with MannaPro Poultry Protector spray last weekend, then the next day I dusted them all with DE and thoroughly cleaned the coop."
yes! they had some light yellow colored lice but not a lot like 4 or 5 per bird. the sick hen in question i only saw one louse on her. but she had a lot of feather mites. i could barely see them i thought it was just dust until it started moving, checked the others feathers and they had it too!

You have a heat lamp on this bird?
What is the temp under the heat lamp?
Make sure you're not killing her with heat.
she is no longer under the lamp, i put her back out in the coop and she started pecking around and eating feed. but still very low energy.

those things knocked the bugs down some, i wanted to use elector psp but i can’t afford it. those were the only treatments in my price range that i could get that day.

No amount of lice or mites is okay on a chicken. If you see any, there are more somewhere. Manna poultry protector has nothing in it to treat mites or lice. The active ingredient is a preservative called potassium sorbets. Mites and lice are best treated with permethrin garden dust or the horse spray. Those are much less expensive than Elector PSP. Feather mites should be treated with ivermectin, twice at 14 day intervals. Ivermectin pour on 5mg per ml dosage is 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight once and again in 14 days. Bedding should be removed, the coop treated, and new bedding applied.

Back
Top Bottom