Letharigic Sick Hen...

Coinkdink

In the Brooder
Hi

I'm in need of some help. My Buff Orpington Hen hasn't been well for the past few days... she's been eating very little and acting very tired and lethargic. She will stand around and close her eyes when usually she would be foraging and poking around.

It also seems like she has diarrhea, her stools are loose, watery and mucusy.. sometimes they are "Milky" coloured and other times dark Greenish in colour.

My sister took her to the Vet today and they gave her Sulfatrim drops (Trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole) to take twice a day... Unfortunately the diagnosis from the Vet wasn't good, apparently he told my sister to prepare for the worst...

I've checked for Impacted Crop but she's not been eating so her Crop has been pretty empty save a few grains or so.
I also checked for Sour Crop but their is NO foul smell from her mouth.. Although when I checked on her after work (20 minutes ago) she did have A LOT of liquid in her Crop that wasn't there this afternoon when I looked at her before work. I think its water that she's been drinking but I'm not too sure...

Checked her Vent and the area around it for an Trapped Egg or anything but it all seems to be clear...

I really need some help as I'm stuck on what to do next...

How old is your hen and has she been laying eggs recently? The sulfatrim is similar to bactrim in humans, and it can help with some problems, including coccidiosis, E.coli, and coryza. If she has a reproductive disorder that is causing her illnesses, then it may not be helpful. A slow or a sour crop might be possible, and they can have slow crops due to other illnesses. I would offer some cooked egg, wet chicken feed, and give an electrolyte in her water. Poultry NutriDrench is a good product in place of electrolytes to give up to 2 ml a day to perk her up.

How old is your hen and has she been laying eggs recently? The sulfatrim is similar to bactrim in humans, and it can help with some problems, including coccidiosis, E.coli, and coryza. If she has a reproductive disorder that is causing her illnesses, then it may not be helpful. A slow or a sour crop might be possible, and they can have slow crops due to other illnesses. I would offer some cooked egg, wet chicken feed, and give an electrolyte in her water. Poultry NutriDrench is a good product in place of electrolytes to give up to 2 ml a day to perk her up.

Thank you very much for you're reply, I appreciate it greatly.

I'm not entirely to sure how old she is.. Maybe 2-3 years old??? She completely stopped laying eggs probably 4-5 months ago. I believed it may have been Coccidiosis so I ordered this to give to her once it arrives; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harkers-Coxoid-against-Coccidiosis-112ml-for-all-birds/182906713592?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I've checked for Sour Crop but her breath didn't smell foul or anything, plus it appears that she's drinking liquids but just not eating very much. I've giving her this in her water; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harkers-Coxoid-against-Coccidiosis-112ml-for-all-birds/182906713592?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Sorry for my ignorance but what is ''Wet Food'' exactly?? Is it normal feed that is crushed and mixed with water or entirely something else???

Wet feed just means to add a lot of water to a small cup of chicken feed. Chickens tend to like that, and you can experiment with that, dry feed, egg, tuna, and canned cat food.

The Harkers Coxoid is amprollium and is used for coccidiosis. But it should not be used with the sulfa antibiotic (Sulfatrim) at the same time, I don’t think. I will tag @casportpony to confirm this.

Wet feed just means to add a lot of water to a small cup of chicken feed. Chickens tend to like that, and you can experiment with that, dry feed, egg, tuna, and canned cat food.

The Harkers Coxoid is amprollium and is used for coccidiosis. But it should not be used with the sulfa antibiotic (Sulfatrim) at the same time, I don’t think. I will tag @casportpony to confirm this.

Thank you so much!

I'll try that tomorrow then, I usually give her Layers Pellets or a mixture of Grains and Corn. Shall i crush the feed's first before adding in the water??

I would stop the whole grains and corn, since those should only be given at a rare treat, and do not have enough protein (only half as much) or the balance nutrients that layer feed or an all flock feed has. The whole grains also require granite grit. The layer pellets do not require crushing, but will soften in water within a couple of minutes if stirred.

My guess is that she may have one of the several reproductive disorders since she hasn’t laid eggs in 5 months. But hopefully, she will start back laying again soon.

I would stop the whole grains and corn, since those should only be given at a rare treat, and do not have enough protein (only half as much) or the balance nutrients that layer feed or an all flock feed has. The whole grains also require granite grit. The layer pellets do not require crushing, but will soften in water within a couple of minutes if stirred.

My guess is that she may have one of the several reproductive disorders since she hasn’t laid eggs in 5 months. But hopefully, she will start back laying again soon.

I'm such an idiot... I've been giving her more of the Corn Mixture instead of the Laying Pellets over the past year.
What about the Male Chickens, should they eat the Laying Pellets too or something else???

This might be all my fault... the result of not giving her the right food. I was wondering why she wasn't laying eggs anymore.

Also, should I replace the Vitamin Water with an Electrolyte Water or should it be ok?

Back
Top Bottom