Lets get together and make plains for 2012 swaps for WV,VA,MD,PA

Soaring Chicks

Soaring Hawks Farm
10 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Henderson,NC
Hello,
Everyone!
After talking it over with a few breeders in each state I thought it would be good to have a chat, plaining thread so we can put our minds together and make a slamming swap year. Lets keep this Nice and Sweet and please Relize we all are trying to have fun and make the best swap possible for this year.
Feel free to put any Ideas you may have out there. As they say great minds think chicken ~ I mean think alike.
lol.png

We have already got the Martinsburg,Wv swap April 21,2012 now let get Started......

If my memory serves me correctly, we had a total of 3 swaps in WV last year. I think we should shoot for the same number this year. Since we seem to get a lot more traffic at Martinsburg TSC, my suggestion would be to keep them there, unless there are better suggestions.

Yes there was 3 TS,Gowers,TS.
then Erin had 2.
I think Tammy and Erin had talked about trying to get one of the fair grounds to let us use it for a swap.
I think that would be great for Wv since Erin has done such a outstanding job with her farm swap.
it would be good for wv to have something like that and to try to get some poultry shows here too.
thanks for taking the time to post Sandie!
hugs.gif

Many of us aren't an NPIP flock and can't go out of state with our sale birds. We need swaps here in WV. Martinsburg seems like a pretty central area for a lot of poultry folks.

It would be great if we could get an annual poultry show going in WV too. If we could and have testing at the grounds, there would be a lot more folks showing.

yes it would be nice to get one in wv. even if just a farm swap like they have in Va and Md now.
the big problem is finding a place to have one. As the ones that are NPIP can not hold one at their farms do to being npip. That is why when some of us talk about it the fairgrounds always come up.
It is a well known place and big enought for people to park and to set up.

anyone know if there are any swaps in VA. I'm a little far from WV
23298 Jefferson Davis Highway Ruther Glen, VA 22546 804-448-0395
Come out and Join us on
April 21st 8am til 1pm for
an Earth Day Celebration

Poultry and Livestock Swap for March 31st @ Montpelier Feed and Seed in Montpelier, VA.
Gilmanor will be May 5th 2012---the first Saturday in May.

http://winchester.craigslist.org/grd/2854121036.html
http://winchester.craigslist.org/grd/2839888755.html
Those are the only ones I know of so far. you might want to try eastcoastchickens.com they post alot of swaps there is petchickensofva.com too. both will post a lot of va swaps. Best of luck finding some.

For anyone in PA, they are easy to do. Just call your local feed store and make arrangements to use their parking area for the Saturday you choose. The only issue is testing requirements... so, you'd have to contact your local Ag. Dept. and see what the requirements are and if someone can come out and test for you.

A Show/Swap at the fairgrounds would rock and I would love to help with that. The big problem with that will be money. The Jefferson Co. Fair folks will probably rent the building for $400 or so for the day. I'm not certain of that price.. just a guess. So, WV would have to organize a poultry club, get a non-profit and begin fundraising. We fundraise for the MSPFA (Maryland State Poultry Fanciers Association) at the Sharpsburg swap, we did at the Poultry Expo and at the Frederick Show for the following year. A great contact for organizing one would be "Mountain State Poultry" Facebook page. They get good traffic and many folks are serious about birds. That's the route to take if you're serious about an APA show combined with a swap.

I think the Chickenstocks have grown so much these passed few years and there is great potential for that. Maybe first, spread Chickenstock around Berkeley, Jefferson and other counties to gain interest and get folks connected. Get an email list! Organizing a group of some sort would be huge... Each person would have their own duties; advertising, promotions with feed companies & other businesses, someone to focus on getting the non profit and other paperwork done, etc.

I don't know how much time I could donate but, I would definitely help. I became a certified poultry tester for the state of MD last weekend so if anyone here in MD needs help getting their birds tested to travel to swaps across state lines, pm me. The Sharpsburg Swap will be held on Sat. June 16th from 8-2 http://mdpoultryswap.blogspot.com/ We'll have a testing clinic for Marylanders the Sunday prior.

Back
Top Bottom