Let's play....chicken or rooster!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Montbars, May 19, 2012.

1. Montbars

Montbars Hatching

May 18, 2012
    Hi guys, couldn't find my old thread. Anyways here are my 8 juvinile ameraucaunas, and I don't know which ones are roosters or chickens. I thought maybe you guys might help! I'd like to separate and give away the roosters before they crow or else the neighbors might freak out. Can you help me? Ill take more pictures if you like. If anyone has raised chicks in an urban environment and has any suggestions on how to deal with roosters....that would be much appreciated.

Here are the pics!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Songster

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Hard to tell from pictures, but looks like the grey and white may be roosters.

3. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    They are still too. You still have a while my lavender's are 13 weeks and neither have started to crow yet. I would know if they are, due my last Amerucana roo had an extremely annoying crow.I'm getting pretty good at guessing a breed by their crow. Marans, D'Uccle, and Amerucana are the easiest. Well probably due to owning those breeds.

4. Montbars

Montbars Hatching

May 18, 2012
    What do you guys think I should do? just wait for them to start crowing and then put up craigslist ads? My worry is that there might be 3-4 roosters, with all of them beginning to crow at their own pace. So, if it takes me 2 days to find a person on craiglist, and I end up having 4 roosters, my neighborhood will hear my roosters crowing for roughly 8 days! (assuming they don't all start crowing at the same time) I am sure that they will revoke my permit if I get that many noise complaints. Anyone have suggestions on what to do?

5. Rhoise

Rhoise Songster

Apr 26, 2012
    Boise, Idaho
  6. dainerra

dainerra Crowing

Jun 4, 2011
    you can usually request a certain amount of time to rehome the birds in the case of noise complaints.
    Also, it's possible for even hens to crow ;)

7. thebanthams

thebanthams Songster

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I didnt have to wait until he crows, he will change as he gets older, you will notice ! I think my rooster was about 12 weeks old when I looks different. He didnt crow until he was 6 months old.

8. Montbars

Montbars Hatching

May 18, 2012
    Interesting. Was it an Ameraucauna?

9. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    She has Ameraucana's they are a little harder too tell. Even at that my boy let out his first today. Don't worry too much they aren't very loud at first. But Ameraucana do have a very annoying crow.

10. GardenGal

GardenGal Songster

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    We live in a neighborhood, and when we found out we had roosters we went around and told all of our neighbors that we were going to find the little guys a good home. And we did! Everyone was understanding when they understood the situation, and most of our neighbors didn't even want us to re-home the roos.

The white one definitely looks like a rooster with that red comb. Other than that it's hard to tell in those pictures. They look like a happy, healthy little flock :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: