Lets see your Egyptians (plus pinioning pics on page 3)

So was that just the tip? and was that the tip laying on the ground? about 1/2 in. to inch? also forgot to say that deer is beautiful.
love.gif

Last edited:
Neat looking birds. Are these something that you have to have a federal permit to breed?

Quote:
Yes the tip of the wing. Yes that is the tip laying on the ground. Lenght depends on what type of bird you are pinioning.

PINIONING- how I do it.

Hold bird and place the joint (the joint closest to the tip of the wing or wirst joint on a person) of the wing between your thumb and finger.

Use a sharp scissors or toe nail clippers to remove the end of the wing. With the "joint" between your thumb and finger, cut next to your fingers. This way you are not cutting into the joint BUT slightly to the outside of it.

Some birds may get a drop of blood which will not hurt. If babies are older they will bleed a little and corn starch can held on the wing tip firmly for several seconds to help clot.

NOTE: I recomend holding the joint between the fingers and cutting next to them so you miss cutting in the joint BUT also so you do not cut to far out towards the tip. You want to cut just to the outside of the joint. Birds with just the very tip removed will still grow enough flight feathers that they can fly.

Spectrum Ranch, the pinioning is so they will NOT ever fly correct? I think like you will have to do to the Muscovies and other fowl that might fly off the farm..

D'Angelo N Va. :

Spectrum Ranch, the pinioning is so they will NOT ever fly correct? I think like you will have to do to the Muscovies and other fowl that might fly off the farm..

Yes Pinioning is so that the bird can not fly. We pinion our swans, most geese and some ducks. That way they can be kept out on a lake or pasture without them flying away. Clipping wings is only temporary, as the feathers grow back after a moult; whereas pinioning is a permanent solution.

In this picture, you can see both full winged and pinioned geese.
Notice the one wing is missing the long flight feathers on the pinioned birds.
1canpin.jpg

1wfflap.jpg

We saw these guys (egyptians) at the PA farm show this year. I have to say I loved them. I've been wanting geese but my fiance will not let me add them to the farm....although these guys he did like.

Time to research, and hunt down a breeder near me I suppose
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom