Letting go....

Kfults

Songster
Jun 12, 2018
Southwest Louisiana
D4E1307B-F7C4-460F-9659-D7AD091D7BCA.png
I have had my first hatch! The brooder cage has been in the hen house with all the other chickens to see but not touch. Most of what I have read - let momma introduce them to flock sooner than later ( allow momma to decide when to bring them out of brooder) we have had a few supervised ( by me) trips Out of the brooder. Other girls seems to ignore them and walked around mom and babies. One BR bullied mom and chased the chicks but not aggressively ( mom is always bottom of peck order before brooding)
Mom is ready to be out of broody cage so today ( 10 days old ) we have opened broody cage door and I am letting momma do her thing! I am stuck watching on camera and a bit nervous LOL momma is doing well.
There are lots of tiny escape hiding places chicks can go and they seem very content exploring and following momma around. She has not brought them out of hen house( 10x12 ) I am nervous about that!
Trying to let Mother Nature be in control but kinda stressful! LOL

Well stressing and momma doing great! She successful has them outside showing them where to eat and how to peck and scratch! Ok, nothing getting done today..... gonna sit and just admire mom and babies! The rest of the flock including rooster somehow know to give them plenty of space!
665ED435-173B-4E23-A163-16EDDB74F0C1.jpeg

We have had weeks of rain here and so yes hen yard wet and muddy.....

Well done. I know just how stressful it can be. It's a real privileged to be able to watch the whole process and one of my favorite but most nerve wracking (the chickens here are all free range including new mums) enjoyments.
The truth is that I don't feel at ease until the mum integrates her chicks and stops looking after them. Bad as this may sound, I then know the mum isn't going to die protecting them and if she loses a chick she'll hatch some more later that year if I let her sit.

Well, dispatched the rooster. He was worthless, tractor supply mix up- he was big meat bird and wasn’t fertilizing eggs- just getting on hens and stomping around ( no vent contact ) aggressive to anyone but me.... went after chicks 3 separate times! Intint to kill it. We had planned to get rid of him and raise a cockerel if one hatched. So we decided to not take any chances with these babies or the next batch that are due to hatch 18th of this month. It was the right thing to do, and my husband did it humainly.
I had to buy fertile eggs for both broody hens!

Well, dispatched the rooster. He was worthless, tractor supply mix up- he was big meat bird and wasn’t fertilizing eggs- just getting on hens and stomping around ( no vent contact ) aggressive to anyone but me.... went after chicks 3 separate times! Intint to kill it. We had planned to get rid of him and raise a cockerel if one hatched. So we decided to not take any chances with these babies or the next batch that are due to hatch 18th of this month. It was the right thing to do, and my husband did it humainly.
I had to buy fertile eggs for both broody hens!

Sounds like it was all for the best.

Back
Top Bottom