Lettuce

NewBostonChick

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
New Boston, NH
Hello.. My girls are about 10-11 weeks old now.. I read about offering them veggie scraps and twice I have put some romaine lettuce out for them.. They do not seem the least interested in the lettuce and wondered if this is normal? The lettuce was not spoiled at all.. Does anyone have other suggestions on what the girls may like at their age? Thanks.. Jane

Hi. My Gals Are About The Same Age. I Have Been Feeding Them Vegges For About A Month,including Lettuces Of All Kinds,including Romaine,their Fav. Just Be Sure To Rip It Into Small Pieces.might Want To Put Some Yogurt On It.

I'm surprised - all of mine started eating romaine before that age, but they'll eat just about anything that isn't trying to eat them. (Come to think of it, I have no proof that they haven't tried that.) Sometimes romaine is on the bitter side, though. Try feeding them some iceberg (flavorless, but good hydration) or Boston lettuce. I usually grab a handful of lots of different greens from the fridge (and the weeds along the way to the run), so it's not normally ONLY romaine out there. They would also love some fruit now, I'll bet... hint hint hint.
smile.png

They've enjoyed just about anything on the food treats link - including lobster. Nothing like seeing a pullet circling a lobster carcass with obvious suspicion, then pecking out its eye. Mmmmmm.

BTW, lettuce will give them really loose stools. Be prepared.

It's hit and miss on what they like and don't like. I've read chickens like strawberries so I excitedly offered them one and they won't touch it at all.

I haven't tried lettuce but I probably won't anyway since it doesn't have much substance to it. Veggie-wise, my girls like/tried kale, cabbage, spinach, cucumbers. Collard greens were ok, carrots ok. Basically any vitamin rich leafy/fibrous green they've liked so far......

Funny thing about their appetites. I have 4 birds who are just over 2 years old, and they have NEVER, EVER liked strawberries. I stopped even offering them to them, since they went uneaten. Now I also have 5 younger birds (12 weeks to 5 months) and each and every one of them devours the fruit like it's going out of style. One of the older birds won't touch bananas, but the rest love them. And the rooster would probably kill for apples. Still, cheese is *everyone's* favorite snack, followed closely by scrambled eggs.

Our crew is about 15 weeks old and they seem to like about everything. We give them any left over veggies and any peels from veggies/fruit ect. For the most part everything seems to disapear! I also like the fact that any weeds we pull from flower beds or garden goes to the chickens, its nice to know that weeds are good for something,lol.

I would definetely make sure to cut the lettuce into tiny pieces. Maybe just try giving them grass. That's what I usually start with the chicks. Just make sure they have some grit too when you start offering them "other" food.

Everyone is right though, it's just hit and miss. Mashed potatoes are fun though! I don't give them very often (usually after a real big family dinner) but it is hilarious!
gig.gif

naw, don't worry, they are like people and love some things and are not interested in others. At their age, I would recommend Watermelon
tongue.png
any chicken I have ever had loves watermelon. The chicks will perch on the side and drink the juice and its watery enough that chickens o all ages can eat it.
big_smile.png
If not watermelon, you can feed quick oats, banana, scrambled eggs, Smashed boiled eggs, and lots more.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom