LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

He/she is so cuuuuuute! I wish I could get ducks.

am i allowed here?
My understanding/feeling is that everyone is "allowed" who is supportive of the LGBT community. We have many allies participating in this thread.

I am queer, and I feel that the more allies the better. If you are kind and uplifting to the participants of this thread then I am happy that you are here.

Thoughts, my chicken friends?

I didn't realize how much work ducks were till I got them. Man were they cute but holy cow they were a pain as they got older
Omg, yes. My ducks are so much work. I truly adore them. They come when I call, quack at me, and are so sweet. But they are incredible amount of work. I thought I was prepared - but nothing can prepare you for ducks. 🤣

Omg, yes. My ducks are so much work. I truly adore them. They come when I call, quack at me, and are so sweet. But they are incredible amount of work. I thought I was prepared - but nothing can prepare you for ducks. 🤣
Lol this is exactly how I feel about my rabbit. So cute. So sweet. So much trouble. I was not prepared! But now that I have her, I wouldn't give her up for anything.

I knew not to ever do ducks, unless I cull them on schedule. I had a pair of Rouens, it wasn't that bad keeping them, but they are mess makers. I didn't want to go through that again.

Having chickens is way easier and cleaner.

My understanding/feeling is that everyone is "allowed" who is supportive of the LGBT community. We have many allies participating in this thread.

I am queer, and I feel that the more allies the better. If you are kind and uplifting to the participants of this thread then I am happy that you are here.

Thoughts, my chicken friends?
I feel this way exactly. I’m currently questioning my sexuality, though I identify as a bi-oriented aroace I feel like this label could change over time due to my life experience. I’m also testing out being a Demigirl. I may end up realizing I really am cis and straight someday, but I will always be supportive. So I don’t think it really matters wether you are lgbt, are trying out labels, don’t like labels or are cishet, as long as you show kindness and empathy to the community you are welcome!

I feel this way exactly. I’m currently questioning my sexuality, though I identify as a bi-oriented aroace I feel like this label could change over time due to my life experience. I’m also testing out being a Demigirl. I may end up realizing I really am cis and straight someday, but I will always be supportive. So I don’t think it really matters wether you are lgbt, are trying out labels, don’t like labels or are cishet, as long as you show kindness and empathy to the community you are welcome!
I guess what I was trying to say, that didn’t come across clearly, is that everyone should be welcome here because people’s view of themselves and others is something that can be discovered over time. I’m not saying that every person who clicked on this thread is gay, but it opens up opportunities to think about your experiences in a new way. And sometimes that means you figure out that you are cis and straight. But because you went on a journey to really discover yourself and who you are instead of going with what everyone tells you, that deserves a lot of respect.

Your ducks come to you when they're called?!?!
Why can't mine be like yours? 😭
Be careful what you wish for. They are so entitled and demanding! If they hear me inside the house they start shout quacking for me to come to the barn and hang out with them. They love to go on walks with me, which is fun in the summer. But the rest of the year I spend hours walking around in the rain with them. I can't use an umbrella because umbrellas are scary.

Here I am quacking like a crazy person to get my ducks to come to me. They were busy foraging and didn't want to, but they did it!

What I did to train them is quack and say "come here ducks!" while feeding them mealworms. Then they associated the sound with the worms and I started doing it from further and further away. It works great!

Even though I'm a cisgendered straight old-ish lady, I do feel welcome here. There have been some very interesting and thought provoking conversations. I have learned a lot.

It can only broaden my view and experience to consider opinions/thoughts/feelings that I might not have myself. EVERYBODY has questions about who they are, at lots of stages of life.

Back
Top Bottom