LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

Yup, that's what's recommended. I'm too dumb for that though, so I got stabbed a bunch of times. Said F it, and repotted it with my bare hands, only got stabbed once

Barrel cacti are a PITA to repot
My mom, a totally certified Cacti expert, said wrap the thing in foam, then take a plastic bag, lift it out of the pot, and put it in a new one.

My mom, a totally certified Cacti expert, said wrap the thing in foam, then take a plastic bag, lift it out of the pot, and put it in a new one.

That could work. How does she access the root system? When I'm repoting I like to be as thorough as can be with cleaning all the old soil from the root ball

Don't ask me too much about barrel cacti. They don't seem to do so well on me. They're a very arid species, and with all the rains we got over the winter...the verdict is still out if my cactus is alive or not. Mine's not too big. Has grown a lot since I got it, but not too much. They're slow. Supposedly takes around 15 for them to reach flowering age. If you ask for my not so professional opinion, I'm not buying it takes that long
We are super arid around here, right now it's only 11%. Drought central here this past decade. I am keeping these plants in a protected but open air area, partial roof, surrounded by hardware cloth. Similar to a chicken run. :D So other than what blows in from the sides in the summer, I will be controlling their water. I am hoping the Barrel cactus does well!

We are super arid around here, right now it's only 11%. Drought central here this past decade. I am keeping these plants in a protected but open air area, partial roof, surrounded by hardware cloth. Similar to a chicken run. :D So other than what blows in from the sides in the summer, I will be controlling their water. I am hoping the Barrel cactus does well!

You have your other one as proof, barrel cacti will be very good for you! I hope to have at least one healthy specimen in my collection

Oh. I really like tossing as much of the old soil as possible. It means that the plant, once repotted, will have fresh, nutrient-dense soil right around its roots from the beginning

Since I don't fertilise at all, it's something I think they like
Ah. We always fertilize our plants. We don’t have any cacti though… I’ll get one in college.

Oh. I really like tossing as much of the old soil as possible. It means that the plant, once repotted, will have fresh, nutrient-dense soil right around its roots from the beginning

Since I don't fertilise at all, it's something I think they like
Does it hurt the plant or shock the roots when you clean off the root ball?

Does it hurt the plant or shock the roots when you clean off the root ball?

I believe there was an extensive study done in the 90s where it showed that plant are in fact capable of feeling pain, and even fear! They were able to communicate through their roots as well

basically, yes. It does hurt and "shock" a bit, but in the long run, I find it works best for me. As I've mentioned before, roots are slightly overrated when it comes to succulents. For my more "temperamental" succulents I try to be more careful

Back
Top Bottom