Lighter-than-air pan rolls

We made these on Saturday and they were a big hit---very tasty. I did not have the bread flour, so I used AP instead. I am planning on getting the bread flour and making them again to see the difference on texture in the final product. I give this recipe a thumbs up---taste great and with it making 2 dozen rolls there is plenty for everyone to eat.

Last edited:
It should double in size in about an hour depending on the warmth of your kitchen. I put a damp tea towel over top of my bowl and I can see the dough pushing the towel up.

I asked Katy the same thing. She told me that when her woodstove was going it rose faster.

So now I only make these rolls when my stove is going.

Voila! Faster rising rolls/ They still take a while, but oh so worth it.
droolin.gif

Has anyone tried this with gluten free flour and if so which flour? I haven't found a recipe yet that is light and fluffy with gluten free flour. And I miss my fluffy dinner rolls.
hit.gif
barnie.gif

The only thing I've ever baked was a fruit cake about 25 years ago when I was single, living alone, and my neighbors thought I was completely nuts. I was planning on carrying this cake to my Grandmother's house for Christmas dinner.

After *finally* getting everything mixed, smashed, mushed, and gobbed together I put the glob in the oven. I'd started late in the evening and had spent a couple of hours on it so I decided to lay down for a *few* minutes. Well, 3+ hours later I woke up. Fearing the worse I ran into the kitchen and opened the oven. There it was, brown and not burned. I took it out and, well, it had the wonderful texture of a very dry concrete block.
hmm.png
Being the resourceful person that I was I quickly ran into the bedroom and grabbed a t-shirt (I think it was a clean one). I wrapped the cement, er..., fruit cake in the t-shirt. I had a bottle of some cheap grape(?) wine (a lifetime ago) so I started slowly pouring the wine onto the fruit cake. Do you know that that cake soaked up a whole bottle of wine!
th.gif

To make a long story short, my Grandmother and a couple of her friends raved over the cake, exclaiming over how *moist* it was and how tasty!!! It was pretty good, I'm just glad nobody was driving after eating some of it.
roll.png

Anyhow...if a professional baker like myself was going to make these rolls....how big do you make the raw dough balls when you put them in the pan? 1" diameter? 2" diameter?

Thanks!
Ed

Ed from a retired baker, I weighed them out at about 2.5 oz and got 2 pans of 15 rolls.

Or halve the dough and for each half go half-half-third

Back
Top Bottom