like a dummy !

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jessaw1981, Aug 18, 2010.

1. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    I did not write down the date I git my courtnix quail. Is there anything I can look for to tell me they are about to lay. I have never raised little ones before all mine were big.

2. renegaderidgefarm

renegaderidgefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    South Carolina
    There is no way to tell as far as I know. They usually start laying at around 6 to 8 weeks so just keep checking them.

3. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I have read here about others that hatched in the turner. Watch real close. I have only had 1 hatch, am on my second now.

Didn't you set when I did around the 7th, someone did? I set mine the 6th at 11P.M. Did you post when you set, check back on your list of posts?

The ony other thing I can think of right off, is to watch the humidity close, when it starts going up and the heat also, your close to hatch and be ready to take them off the turner or stop turning them. Hope your there when that happens.

Good luck, hopefully a more knowledgeable quailer will see this and know some tips for you.

Edited to add on the 1st you were asking about thermometers and hygrometers for the bator. Said it would be awhile before you got one, when did you get one?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  4. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:I think the question is when will they lay, not when will they hatch?

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    When There's An Egg In The Bottom Of Their Pen..... Their About Ready [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The males won't mate with the females until about a week before she is ready to lay, that's one way to tell. The females also have a 'new' call when they are ready to start laying. Usually it's about 6-8 weeks, but I've had some start at 4 weeks and some start at 12, so it's anybody's guess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by