Limping 9 week old chicken

May 21, 2018
I got my first set of chicks ever about 9 weeks ago now and one of them has developed a leg issue. She can hobble around on it, but does not like to put pressure on her leg if she doesn't have to. Leg is currently splayed out when she stands still. No visible issues or discoloration to suggest bumblefoot. After talking to some friends and reading this forum, I'm thinking it might be a slipped tendon. On inspecting her leg for this issue, her hock was definitely swollen and she was in some pain when I tried to stretch the leg out behind her (also met some resistance). I did not feel the tendon move, but I'm also a newbie and have no idea what that would feel like. Also it seems slipped tendons happen in younger birds. I notice the issue about a week ago, but, admittedly, it could have been going on for longer and I just didn't realize anything what going on.

What do y'all think? Is there anything I can do to help this girl out (splint?) or has the injury lasted for too long? Will she limp around her entire life or do I need to cull her? I'm not interested in taking her to the vet; no sense in spending that money on a $3 feed store bird.

Attachments

• chicken.jpg
    chicken.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom