limping chicken

NewbyJan

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 26, 2010
Littleborough
we have a 15 week old bantam frizzle called Fizz who has been fit and well until yesterday when we noticed that she was not weight-bearing on her right leg. Sometimes she puts it to the floor and other times the toes curl backwards underneath and she loses her balance. several times she has completely lost her balance and fallen over! She is eating and drinking and trying to potter about but as soon as she is spooked (usually by the cockeral) she tries to make a run for it and stumbles and falls.

Being an orthopaedic nurse my instinct has been to splint the foot so that the toes stay facing forwards, using a soft plastic cut from a milk bottle carton and a non stick elastic bandage. she is just about getting used to this being on her foot and walks quite well with it. However, she still falls over if frightened as she hasn't quite got the hang of running on it!!

Have I done the right thing? And if so, how long should I leave this splint on? She is still with the other 2 bantam mille fleur, a white sussex hen and the white sussex cock. Should I isolate her or not?

Im going through the same thing, I went to an avian vet. they used a soft alluminum splint @90 degree bend covered with foam and then used coban to hold it on. It liiks like ligament or tendon damage. Probably happened when Mr Chicken our Cochin Roo got to agressive while mating. She said to keep in on for a week to ten days then come back. She also made some pain anti inflammitory (meloxican) med to be given 1x a day. The first vet, not avian thought her leg was broken and rotated and felt she might need to be put down. Its a good thing to get other opinions. Our girl is resting in a well padded box watching tv. Its been 4 days since the injury and 2 days since the vet visit. Because the splint is at 90 deg she cant balance on it, she falls on her butt. We carry her around and take her out to see the flock sometimes.

I wouldn't isolate her unless there is serious pecking. They typically do best in with their buddies; they are social creatures.

Let's hope it's just a strain or pulled muscle or something similar, that will heal itself pretty quickly.

thank you for the replies. It makes me feel better that we are not totally off the rails we our treatment of Fizz! She is such a cutie! Let's hope that it will sort itself out quickly. Thanks again.

thanks for all the replies. Fizz wore the home made splint for 9 days and managed really well on it. The splint is now off and she is running about as if she had never injured herself!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom