Limping Duckling, Leg Turned Outward

Renada_

Chirping
Mar 3, 2023
Hi, I have a Cayuga duckling that is about a week old named Mac (Mackerel). I bought her from Tractor Supply. I had put her with another two ducklings in a small box so that I could clean their cage. Well I noticed tonight when I checked their food and water that she was leaning a little to the side and limping. She’s alert and peeping, she just wants to lay down all the time. I felt both of her legs and that the point where she bends her knees I think, I don’t know what they’re called, there’s a dip into her leg on one side and there isn’t on the other, sorry if that is hard to understand. Anyway, I’m just really worried. I cannot afford a vet for a duckling. She seems to be able to move it, I put her in a warm bath so that she could take some pressure off of her leg and separated her from the other two ducklings. She was paddling in the water in a circled, like that one leg was just a little too weak to paddle strong enough to go straight. Any help is appreciated!! I read that they can heal pretty fast if I just keep her separate and let her heal on her own. Is that a good idea? Just to leave her, obviously caring for her, but to see if it works?

Hi, I have a Cayuga duckling that is about a week old named Mac (Mackerel). I bought her from Tractor Supply. I had put her with another two ducklings in a small box so that I could clean their cage. Well I noticed tonight when I checked their food and water that she was leaning a little to the side and limping. She’s alert and peeping, she just wants to lay down all the time. I felt both of her legs and that the point where she bends her knees I think, I don’t know what they’re called, there’s a dip into her leg on one side and there isn’t on the other, sorry if that is hard to understand. Anyway, I’m just really worried. I cannot afford a vet for a duckling. She seems to be able to move it, I put her in a warm bath so that she could take some pressure off of her leg and separated her from the other two ducklings. She was paddling in the water in a circled, like that one leg was just a little too weak to paddle strong enough to go straight. Any help is appreciated!! I read that they can heal pretty fast if I just keep her separate and let her heal on her own. Is that a good idea? Just to leave her, obviously caring for her, but to see if it works?
Can you get photos of her legs, and perhaps a video, so we can see?
I'm thinking niacin deficiency or slipped tendons. In either case its important to get a good dose of niacin into her every day. B complex is best for this. Folks here usually use the durvet one, you can get it at tractor supply.
1 ml over a treat daily.

I'd start this ASAP, but we should really rule out slipped tendons or anything else, as that would require further treatment to correct it. Photos of her legs would help a lot

Back
Top Bottom