Little Lady with possible Vent Gleet

Update:
We seem less yeasty today (woot!) but I came out to check on Lacey this afternoon and her entire rear was covered in blood, and there was a blood clot hanging from her vent. I soaked her and reassured myself it wasn’t another prolapse. I gave her another drench dose of Corid. This will be day 3 of treatment. I’ve been giving one drench dose, 0.3ml of liquid Corid for the last three days. She weighs 2.5lbs. I got this dose off of Casportpony’s drench article.
Shouldn’t I been seeing improvement at this point? Not progression? Am I dosing often enough? I gave her half a tablet of calcium citrate as well just encase a blockage is causing the issue. Figured it can’t hurt.
Pic of blood in spoiler if it’s helpful.
F4160388-16CB-4C30-8D84-4BCDF76FA2E0.jpeg

Good gosh! That seems like an awfully big clot even for cocciciosis. Let's hope it is from coccidiosis.

Yes, the Corid should be working by now. But if there's infection along with it, which the blood clot points to, then she needs a sulfa antibiotic to treat the bacteria. Do you have that in your vast chicken first aid supplies? If not, you might be able to find it at a pigeon supply shop. If not, you can order it here. https://jedds.com/products/trimethoprin-sulfa-medpet?_pos=1&_sid=83dcb7a2a&_ss=r

Reminder - no thiamine supplement should be given during Corid treatment. It cancels out the thiamine suppressant in Corid and makes Corid ineffective.

Good gosh! That seems like an awfully big clot even for cocciciosis. Let's hope it is from coccidiosis.

Yes, the Corid should be working by now. But if there's infection along with it, which the blood clot points to, then she needs a sulfa antibiotic to treat the bacteria. Do you have that in your vast chicken first aid supplies? If not, you might be able to find it at a pigeon supply shop. If not, you can order it here. https://jedds.com/products/trimethoprin-sulfa-medpet?_pos=1&_sid=83dcb7a2a&_ss=r
This is exactly what I thought.
Unfortunately I don’t have that on hand, but I’ll cross my fingers and hope I can find it in town tomorrow. I might have some kind of antibiotic prescribed for my dogs a while back, but im not sure if that will work or not.
I just locked everyone up and checked her again. No blood this time, but I might have seen albumen coming from her vent. :(
It was hard to tell in the dark, maybe it was yeasty discharge, but I guess we’ll know more tomorrow.
I’ll keep this thread updated. Thanks so much for the help!

Here are some other antibiotics that can treat enteritis associated with coccidiosis. Bacitracin (200–400 mg/gallon for 5–7 days), penicillin (1,500,000 U/gallon for 5 days), and lincomycin (64 mg/gallon for 7 days

I just went out and dosed Lacey with Corid. I’ve been giving a heavier dose, and since I was able to give one before I left this morning I can dose her when I get home too. She seems fine, yeasty and some blood, but nothing compared to yesterday.
What really shook me was finding Button, but Cochin bantam hen dead under the roost. She seemed absolutely fine. Zero symptoms and completely normal, but she’s dead this morning. 😞
The only thing I can think of is Coccidiosis.
I’m currently putting Corid in everyone’s water, and haven’t been giving anyone any thiamine supplements, or additional supplements whatsoever.

Also, I was thinking about Lacey more Thai morning and double checking I haven’t accidentally given a thiamine supplement. I haven’t, but I have been giving her oil of oregano for anti fungal and ACV. I know both contain thiamine, but would that be enough to support the Coccidiosis?

That's really sad and upsetting finding a dead hen. It's always good practice to treat all the flock when you discover one sick chicken with possible coccidiosis.

I wouldn't have thought Thiamine would be in oil of oregano, but ACV and anti-fungals shouldn't have any. The only thiamine should be what little is added to the feed. That can't be helped.

That's really sad and upsetting finding a dead hen. It's always good practice to treat all the flock when you discover one sick chicken with possible coccidiosis.

I wouldn't have thought Thiamine would be in oil of oregano, but ACV and anti-fungals shouldn't have any. The only thiamine should be what little is added to the feed. That can't be helped.
It is upsetting. Really unfortunate when you’re trying so hard.

Everyone is being treated now, and Lacey will get a dose this afternoon and we’ll keep plugging along

Back
Top Bottom