Little Lou..eye trouble..oh nooo!!

Pics

Duckfarmer1

Crowing
Jul 23, 2019
Kane,Pa
Ok...so, Little Lou developed eye issues wayyy back in December when he wasn’t well with his broken knee. He wouldn’t dunk his head...it became..perhaps an infection...anyways it was deci on here to treat with saline drops to loosen the eyes..because he coul open..and then use teramyacin. Did that. Fast forward...Lou never did start to dunk. It was discussed on here too. I put a deep basin bowel with shower curtain under his straw for him to ‘swim’....no dip...no dunk......now I also have an upside-down watered...without the lid...so that’s it’s deep...so he CAN duck. No luck..he’s as dry as can be. I noticed awhile back that the teramyacin residue had clunked up under his eyes into his feathered and made a hard mess. I tried to wash it out daily..no luck. So, I started putting neosporin on the spots to loosen them up..but hopefully leave no damage.... now one eye has some bubbles...but the chunk is still there....the other eye looks as though the feather chunk fell off....but looks...raw? He’s still not dunking. I’m soooooo worried about my Little Lou...I think you all know that, and I appreciate you reading along. :)
CD84B265-4AF5-4FA6-8474-5AF49B810AF6.jpeg
83C2BAA1-C93A-4D8D-AFB7-73E692BC9792.jpeg
7EF3FC99-B1BE-480B-9F07-94D766AE8F5D.jpeg
342B0B43-414F-4AD2-A8EC-4ECD2FBA5718.jpeg
C0588815-956F-481F-84B2-A11E19E4036D.jpeg
B678DD45-0204-4D1D-B562-32EA5BF4CFF3.jpeg
65F08709-F02E-4F03-BC9A-AF26A1332ADB.jpeg
65F08709-F02E-4F03-BC9A-AF26A1332ADB.jpeg
1E57184A-7E09-4AE8-B3AE-D834AB035D2E.jpeg

A warm soft towell compress will clean around the eye and soften all the gunk out, Teramyacin is a a good product, i also had good luck with over the counter antibiotic eye drops on a drake with foamy eyes

But a duck not dunking is deffinitly odd! Mabye a soft mist spray bottle of clean water would help

Best wishes for you and lou

@Miss Lydia

I can't imagine the Terramycin causing this since it's an ointment. Maybe the discharge from his eyes caused the gunk to harden. You know how if a child has a bad cold and they eyes are affected the eyes can get gunk hardened until the eyes mat closed. Maybe that's what has happened. I'd try the saline wash and warm compresses like you said you may have to do it a few times a day to get it softened enough to wipe it off.
You also might try using warm water for him to dunk his head in. Do you have a heated dog bowl? As for the shower curtain liner put it directly under his water containers to keep the water off his bedding.

Ok. So no straw on top that part of his area. I can run heat tape. You’re probably right about the ointment. I’ll use the saline and warm water
You can keep straw under the liner as long as you can keep it dry. Just with all that going on with him I wouldn't think laying on wet bedding will help.

That's fine just wanted to make sure it was available at TSC I'll be going there soon. Thanks!
I WISH I was going there soon! I’ll put on the list...but there will be no trips for us for awhile...we went last week...we go about once a month since its 40 miles away. Everything is that far away...takes up the whole day. Anyways, I’m making headway with Little Lou’s eyes. I was able to get a few more of the chunky stuff off with the compresses and saline. I did dunk his head. He didn’t love it..hated me. When the chunks come off, he’s left with no feathers in those spots...with those grow back, after a long while? This poor guy took soooo long to get feathered in the first point!! But, the bubbles have seem to gone away...I don’t know how, why..it wasn’t even there when I went back to treat it. But, he did have like build up in his nostr. Like a kid with a cold gets. It was kind of hard..like beak material almost...yellow too. I got it out..he hated that. I decided to wrap the leg all the way up the foot. He’s devel calluses on the side of leg and side of his foot from how he walks...so, I thought this might give him some padding, and stability.it doesn’t cover the whole foot, just goes up to the palm area where here’s created such wear. He walks so weird. Chris says he’s got too many knees. But, what do you think this nose discharge is about? And why is it hard like his beak? Is his beak breaking down from not getting it wet enough?

Back
Top Bottom