Little one with spraddle leg very weak

Kaurana

In the Brooder
May 7, 2020
Hi, we have a chick we have been trying everything for - leg bindings, electrolytes, physical therapy...

it is happy and chirps when we pick it up but so much weaker than siblings now (4 days old.)

it opens and closes its beak...

any ideas!?!? (I have short videos but I guess I can only attach pictures?)

Help....:hit:hit we can’t imagine it will survive much longer.. although it is drinking electrolytes... (how long can a chick go not eating much??)

Sorry no one replied, how is your chick doing? To post a video, upload it to YouTube or Vimeo then copy and paste the link here.

Oh, it’s ok, I know people are busy. But I really app

We were just trying so hard but our little one died that night. 4 days old, I think. The one thing that I looked everywhere and could not find help with was the swelling on the knee (if you can help, I would love to know what to do in the future - there is another ER post of mine of one or two days before and nobody posted potential solutions... maybe people don’t know either... we never got the swelling down...)

I guess 4-5 days is what they will go without eating properly... (on electrolytes only.)

thanks again!!
Thais

So sorry for your loss. :hugs Once they start breathing through the mouth like that they usually cant be saved. As for the one with, knee, I'm gonna go read that thread.

Thank you! It was the same chick - it was “ off” from the start... snif snif

Not that I could tell, but I guess it could have been... I welcome any thoughts so I don’t feel as helpless in the future...

if it were, what would it possibly be an indication of please? I don’t mind hypothetical thoughts now, I just want to lean...!!

thanks!!

Many times I've seen chicks with large bellies hatch, and those large bellies make them appear splay-legged. Sometimes the just need hobbles and time to process their yolk belly, other times they fail to process the yolk and end up dying from a yolk sac infection.

The swollen hock could have been from it trying to walk and irritating it, I've seen that too, or it could have been infection. If something like this happens again, tag me (@casportpony), or send me a conversation (https://www.backyardchickens.com/conversations/add) and I will do my best to help you.

Thank you so much!!! At least I have learned more and know another aspect to look for next time. (We never figured out what cause the swelling ...!)

i have saved your contact - that is very kind of you! Sincerely, Thais

Back
Top Bottom