little rooster attacked by dog

akosthegoose

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
My neighbors German shepherd dog attacked my rooster. My dog saved its life but he isn't doing well. His feathers got plucked on his tail no signs of bleeding he is moving about some but mostly lays with his head stretched out. I'm afraid he's not drinking. Should I give him some type of pain meds? He was attacked mid day yesterday. My husband couldn't get to him my dog wouldn't allow it i rushed home and thought he was dead but he is holding on. Please help

Also if you think he wont have a chance of making it please tell me I don't want him to suffer. I don't know of a vet or he would go my dog's vet doesn't treat birds

i would try to give him water and maybe cut up a grape or cherry tomatoe to try to get something in him. Good Luck

How is he now? If he doesn't have any visible injuries except for the missing feathers its makes me wonder if he has serious internal injuries. A palliative care doctor once told me that if someone is dying, being dehydrated makes it easier to pass away so they don't try to keep people alive who are terminal by introducing intravenous fluids. If he is perking up I think hydration is good but wouldn't force it if he is seriously injured. I'm just trying to think what I would do in your situation since I see you haven't had a lot of response.

A bird can get injuries internally from the power of the dog's jaws as True Grit has suggested.

Do not give any asprin for pain as it is also a blood thinner and can make internal bleeding worse if there is any. If there is not any internal injuries, or if they are not severe, the rooster will be sore but he should recover.

Get some electrolytes for his water as he is at least in shock and the electrolytes will help him through the ordeal. In a pinch you can dilute Gatorade 50/50 with water and give that to him or do the same with Pedialyte.

My bantam cochin roo was attacked by something a month ago he could barely limp lost all the feathers from his hind, wouldnt eat. @ days in the house and he began to eat again, a week later he was able to go out again. your roo might be in shock. Give him a chance, he might suprise you. try different things for food.

Back
Top Bottom