Little side project hen. What colors could she produce? Parents are black + isabella, 2 different breeds

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
This is my (almost) 4 month old pullet Oakley. She is half silkie, half bantam brahma. I'm going to keep her as a pet in my silkie flock, just like I have her mother. She has 2 other full sisters, but I will be keeping Oakley because of her personality.
20220823_165141.jpg

20220717_163650.jpg

Let's start by discussing her genetics:

color:
I have no idea. Looks brown with black and silver and lacing. Very pretty tho.

What is isabella made of? Can she carry anything from that? lavender? I know nothing of the genetics behind actual isabella (not lavender partridge. Unless that's the same thing).

Feathers:
Smooth. She carries 1 copy of silked feathers. Not bearded.

Skin:
Black. Walnut comb is also black. Earlobes have a dark mulberry color

Anything else about her genetics worth mentioning?

Parents:

Her father is a black silkie. He has a small beard. Silver leakage in the neck and carries recessive white. (R.I.P. Fluffy)
IMG_0745.JPG

Mother is an isabella bantam brahma. Comes from a line of only isabellas.
20220330_080158.jpg

IMG_1528.JPG
20220421_114619.jpg

What I'm breeding Oakley to:

A silkie rooster named Cloud. I have kept him for my silkie breeding. He is a dominant white with lots of red leakage (unsure if he has 1 or 2 copies of white). Comes from a mixed color flock.
20220815_104233.jpg

Oakley and Cloud's offspring?

So now that you know everything that I know about these birds, what should I expect when chicks hatch? What is the possibility of their chicks being silked? What genes will they carry? If they inherited dominant white, then what would that look like? Sort of like Cloud with the leakage going on? Probably wouldn't be paint like spots. Would the feather lacing pass on? I just really wanna know :)
Super excited to see their chicks!!

I will not be incubating any more than 3 of her eggs if I incubate next year because I need most of the space for silkies. Buuuut if I get a broody, then I will definitely put a couple of Oakley's eggs under.
I will update with the chicks next spring, so click the "watch" button if you're also interested to see what they produce!

Wait is the isabella color basically brown with lavender? I tried doing some research on it. Is that why Oakley has the brown base color? Would that mean she's carrying lavender?

Also I tried doing the genetic square trick and I think her chicks with a silkie rooster would be 50% silked.

Also what about skin color? She herself has black skin (parents are black + pink skin) and she will be bred to a black skinned rooster. Will the pink skin appear in her chicks? Can skin color be carried?

Sorry for all the questions haha

I'm not super confident I can answer all your questions so I was hoping someone else would pop in to do so, but... I'll give it a shot. 🙂

Isabella is a term used to describe a gold pattern (like duckwing, laced partridge, crele, etc.) with lavender. Lavender dilutes all pigment in the feather, not just the black parts like with the Blue gene, so the gold or orange parts turn pale yellow and the black parts turn lavender. Your Brahma is gold partridge plus lavender, which is where the lacing is coming from in her offspring.

You say their father had silver leakage, so that's where the silver part is coming from on the offspring. Silver male x gold female would make silver daughters and golden males (carrying one copy gold, one copy silver).

I don't know if it's just the pictures, but I'm not seeing the brownish color you're talking about. They look black with messy silver penciling to me. Yes, they should carry a lavender gene from their mother, but it being recessive means it won't reappear in their offspring unless you breed them to a lavender or lavender carrying bird.

Silkied feathering is recessive, so the Silkie x Brahma mixes will carry one copy of it and not express it. When bred to a silkied male, half of their offspring then will inherit the gene from both them and their father and be silkied, and half will only inherit it from their father and be smooth, but carry the gene. So yes, you are correct, 50% silkied when bred to your Silkie male.

As far as skin color, it is heritable, yes, but since you are working with dark skinned females and a dark skinned male, you should only see dark skin in their offspring. Brahmas should have yellow skin, so the mixes should carry a gene for that and pass it on to half of their offspring. That should only pop back up if you breed two carriers together (sibling to sibling or back crossing parent to offspring if both happen to be carriers in either case) or outcross to a yellow skinned breed again, though.

Cloud being dominant white with leakage and not much else known about his background, it's really hard to say what he might be carrying and what he might throw. His daughters should have gold or reddish colors like him, and his sons likely paler from getting a silver gene from their mother. Obviously all will be white with leakage if he has two copies of dominant white, and half of his offspring will be white with leakage if he only has one copy, but the other half in that case... It would really depend on his background and what genetics he carries as to whether the lacing stays in or not.

That's all I've got. I hope someone else sees this who can fill in any blanks I left!

Back
Top Bottom