Littlest cockerel getting picked on

MarlaMac

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
Central Texas
Hello all.

We have 8 Black Australorp chicks, hatched 6/1-6/4, so roughly 4 weeks old. Of the 8, I see at least 3 cockerels. One is markedly smaller than the rest of the brood and is getting picked on. I noticed today that the biggest cockerel constantly picks on him - he will actually chase him down to pick on him. Mom does intervene at times, but she also allows the order establishment to ensue.

Today, I picked up the little guy and he has a sore on his comb and peck marks on his face - enough to make me put some neosporin on him.

I am thinking that tomorrow I will separate out the bully and see if this does not change his attitude. What do you think? I am prepared to separate him for a longer period of time if that is what is needed.

I am also beginning the journey to rehome these guys (by far my most least favorite thing about allowing broodies to hatch eggs).

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
I had a 2 week old chick kill it's sibling and then start on another sibling. The broody hen did nothing to stop it. I isolated that chick all day and put him back with Mama and the rest that night. He behaved himself from there on out but he was butchered as soon as I considered him big enough. I can't guarantee that isolating him will work but it's probably worth a try.

I agree with Sourland. If you know you are going to rehome him, now is a good time to start before you grow more attached.

I had a 2 week old chick kill it's sibling and then start on another sibling. The broody hen did nothing to stop it. I isolated that chick all day and put him back with Mama and the rest that night. He behaved himself from there on out but he was butchered as soon as I considered him big enough. I can't guarantee that isolating him will work but it's probably worth a try.

I agree with Sourland. If you know you are going to rehome him, now is a good time to start before you grow more attached.
Thank you. Growing attached is not an issue when I saw what my two young cockerels did to my girls - had them all scared to walk across the opening to the coop for fear of being gang raped. I waited entirely too long with them and they were already hormonal by the time I got rid of them.

If I had the heart to butcher them, I would set up a bachelor pad; I just don't. I have had good luck in the past; all three of the cockerels that have hatched with us have gone to good homes as flock managers. I am hoping the same for these little guys. We shall see.

I will break the next broody. I don't want to go through this for a couple more years if possible.

Even if you don't want to butcher them, a bachelor pad is not a bad idea with young cockerels. When they cause problems, get them out of the flock.

I wonder if there is not something not quite right with the smaller cockerel... or it could be that he is just not getting enough to eat, and that the bullying has been going on a bit longer, and maybe a bit more extreme than you think.

Mrs K

Even if you don't want to butcher them, a bachelor pad is not a bad idea with young cockerels. When they cause problems, get them out of the flock.

I wonder if there is not something not quite right with the smaller cockerel... or it could be that he is just not getting enough to eat, and that the bullying has been going on a bit longer, and maybe a bit more extreme than you think.

Mrs K
Thank you for your insight. I do have a way to separate them when they begin to get hormonal and I have not yet gotten them rehomed.

Everything has seemed to settle down. The next day I continued to monitor them and there was no fighting between them, even when I served up some hard poached eggs. The little one does not have any more wounds on him and even when he stood his ground, no bullying happened.

I will continue to monitor and make sure all is okay and hopefully give all away by the time they reach 8 weeks old. I know of a guy with a rooster farm if nothing else materialized.

Back
Top Bottom