Lockdown! Cross your fingers...Newest pictures, page 18

Quote:
It sure is! Did you see all the others? All of those but one are your grandchicks! There is one in there that is from my birds.

They are beautiful babies. Any problems hatching were not from your stock. The first few did great, til the one that didn't develop (that I missed candling) started offgassing in the incubator. Then, they started quieting down and I was afraid they woudln't make it. Definitely not a genetic thing, though. Just bad luck. That tiny Brinsea doesn't have a lot of extra air to compensate for something like that.

Quote:
40 COTURNIX AND YES I WAS LATE MOVING THEM... WENT TO MOVE THEM AND WAS GREETED BY 4 LIL IMPATIENT FUZZBALLZ AND A FEW OTHERS BUSILY ZIPPING (OOPS)

The next thing you know, he'll be keeping the boys for pets like me!

NO MAAM, EVERYBODY PULLS THEIR WEIGHT AROUND HERE... GOT ANOTHER 40 DUE TO BE MOVED TO HATCHER TOMARROW.... EXTRA BOYS IF NOT USED IN BREEDING PROGRAM EITHER GET SOLD ON CRAIGSLIST, AT THE AUCTION OR GO TO CAMP KENMORE. EITHER WAY THEY PULL THEIR OWN WEIGHT. I AM HAPPY TO SAY WITH EGG SALES SUCKING THIS YR MY BIRDS STILL PAY FOR THEMSELVES AND ANY AND ALL FARM IMPROVEMENTS/ NEW BLOOD/ NEW SPECES I BRING IN. I WILL OFFER QUITE A FEW NEW SPECES NEXT SPRING
smile.png
STEERING TOWARDS EXPENSIVE SPECES
smile.png
THEY STILL SELL DISPITE OBAMANOMICS. IT WOULD APPEAR I WAS THE LAST 1 TO HAVE RING NECK EGGS THIS YR ON EBAY-- THATS A BONUS! SERIOUSLY BUMPS THE PRICE THEY FETCH WHEN YOU'RE THE ONLY 1 WHO HAS THEM. SAME IS TRUE OF RARE AND ORNIMENTAL SPECES ESPECIALLY WITH PHEASANTS AS THEY ARE SEASONAL PRODUCERS... SO IF YOU'RE 1ST TO GET EGGS OR LAST TO HAVE EGGS YOU GET TOP DOLLAR. THE FANCY STUFF SELLS NO MATTER WHAT
smile.png
ITS A SMALL BUSINESS IF YOU WILL AND RUN AS SUCH... NO MONEY COMES OUT OF MY POCKET FOR ANYTHING BIRD RELATED... THE EGG SALES COVER OPERATING COSTS + GROWTH.... FLIP SIDE IS I KEEP NO MONEY FROM SALES, IT ALL GETS RE-INVESTED IN NEW SPECES AND NEW BLOOD. WHILE ITS NOT THE RATE I'D LIKE MY FARM HAS GROWN STEADILY FOR A FEW YRS NOW. EACH YR NEW HOUSING AVIARIES AND BREEDER CAGES ARE BUILT, NEW HIGH DOLLAR PRODUCERS ARE ACQUIRED AND THE NEXT YR THEY PRODUCE AND IT SNOWBALLZ IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN? DONT GET ME WRONG--- I HAVE A GOD AWFUL AMOUNT OF TIME AND LABOR INTO IT FOR NO PAY... BUT IT COSTS ME NOTHING MORE THAN LABOR. MY GOAL IS TO BUILD IT INTO A LARGER OPERATION THAT DOES GENERATE INCOME EVENTUALLY AND PERHAPS A FAMILY BUSINESS TO BE PASSED DOWN TO THE NEXT GENERATION. IN THE MEAN TIME I CAN BE READILY HEARD CUSSING THE WEATHER, THE COST OF FEED AND SHIPPING AND PREDATORS THAT NEVER SEEM TO END NO MATTER HOW MANY I SHOOT... ALL WHILE SLINGIN FEED, SNATCHING EGGS AWAY FROM RABID BROODY PHEASANT HENS, CHASING DOWN ESCAPEE BOBS AND BENDING OVER TO PICK UP COTURNIX WHEN THE DROP OUT OF OPEN PENS AND LAND WITH A RESULTANT "PLOP" ONTO MY FEET, AND ENJOYING THE ANIMALS THEMSELVES FOR WHAT THEY ARE... BEAUTIFUL AND EXOTIC GAME BIRDS
smile.png

I was just razzin' ya, JJ...you naming that little Pokey chick and all...

My quail earn their keep, too. They lay eggs & I don't have to worry about salmonella. I dunno how much I'm paying a dozen, and don't want to know, ROFL. However, I could slurp these eggs back raw without fear of getting sick.

Plus they are awfully fun & cheaper than going to the movies on Friday nights.
wink.png

Quote:
ALL VERY TRUE
smile.png

OH AND I DIDNT NAME HIM POKEY, I JUST CALLED HIM THAT CAUSE HE WAS DRAGGIN BUTT ABOUT HATCHING... EVERYBODY ELSE WAS OUT, DRY, AND IN THE BROODER AT LEAST 12 HRS BEFORE HIM... MUST BE A SHORT BUS KID?
smile.png

THERE'S ALWAYS A WINDOW LICKER IN THE CROWD SOMEWHERE....
he.gif

Well I have 2 out and one working on it. I had planned to go out with my mom last night. We were meeting at 5 with non-refundable tickets. So of course when did the boogers hatch!! At 410, 20 mins before I had to leave. the first one started to un zip as I was walking out the door.
barnie.gif
Good thing is the girls and DH got to watch him/her come out. Of course the one who wanted to see it more than anyone, didn't get too. I guess that's just how it is. I'll take pics soon. They are all engish whites that have hatched so far. Rozzie- Your babies are beautiful! I love the colors and can't wait to add more to my own collection. Go mhwc56! Today is your day!

Quote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence but so far... STILL NOTHING..
tongue.gif

if they come i suspect it will be the weekend just cuz i have our Grand Opening tomorrow and other commitments Sonday...no one home so THAT will be the time .

Last edited:
Quote:
ALL VERY TRUE
smile.png

OH AND I DIDNT NAME HIM POKEY, I JUST CALLED HIM THAT CAUSE HE WAS DRAGGIN BUTT ABOUT HATCHING... EVERYBODY ELSE WAS OUT, DRY, AND IN THE BROODER AT LEAST 12 HRS BEFORE HIM... MUST BE A SHORT BUS KID?
smile.png

THERE'S ALWAYS A WINDOW LICKER IN THE CROWD SOMEWHERE....
he.gif

Oh, I figured you hadn't really named him. (But, it's okay if you did.
tongue.png
) I was just razzin' ya!

Back
Top Bottom