Lonely chick

Since you have other chickens she should be ok once she's integrated in with them, although a solo integration is tougher for sure. But at least she'll have a flock.

No she won't die of loneliness but a mirror or stuffed animal can give her a sense of companionship for now. Not sure what your integration plans were, but might want to consider integrating earlier rather than later so she'll have companions and can pick up chicken behaviors from the others.

I would get her a few friends, in my opinion. Lucky was about 5 weeks when she got friends, too, so I wouldn't worry too much about the age difference. That said, though, I would also get maybe two or more so that she's outnumbered. Lucky got four buddies and there was no fighting. :)
We ended up getting her three new friends today. Not sure if we’re going to keep all three but here they are!

Attachments

• 9C861F08-7B50-43DE-9C62-9F2585939CC0.jpeg
    9C861F08-7B50-43DE-9C62-9F2585939CC0.jpeg
    482.3 KB · Views: 6
Since you have other chickens she should be ok once she's integrated in with them, although a solo integration is tougher for sure. But at least she'll have a flock.

No she won't die of loneliness but a mirror or stuffed animal can give her a sense of companionship for now. Not sure what your integration plans were, but might want to consider integrating earlier rather than later so she'll have companions and can pick up chicken behaviors from the others.
She’s in a see no touch in the coop and once she got bigger we were going to just let her in with the others. But right now those plans might change considering the one died

She’s in a see no touch in the coop and once she got bigger we were going to just let her in with the others. But right now those plans might change considering the one died
In my experience, if there is a large difference in ages, the solo bird may not fit in. I really think it's best to get another bird if you can.

In February we got two bantam chicks for my bantam rooster Toots (he's my profile picture!) before the winter storm hit. Well once it hit we lost electricity and it killed one of the two babies. The survivor was named Lucky, who is now a very sweet hen! She was lonely so we gave her a teddy bear, which she hid under all the time. Finally after recovering from the storm we got her some friends and she didn't hide under the teddy bear anymore. :)

IMG_0812.JPG

Edit: So sorry about your other chick!

Back
Top Bottom