Lonely chick

I was thinking about getting two just in case! But my question is, right now she’s in the coop in her see no touch, can i put the babies with her in the coop or should i put them under a heating lamp first? It gets down to mid fifties here at night
If you get younger chicks, that are not feathered in yet, they will need heat.

So do you know why the chick died? Didn't pick up on that at first, but this could be an issue. However, these chicks weren't actually in isolation, so may not matter...
mary
No i’m not sure. I let the chicks out from their “coop” and one (the one who died) went into the run. We were outside so i didn’t see a problem with it. Turned my back for 5 minutes while in the garage and heard a big squawk from the run. I ran out and the chick was laying in the corner. I picked it up and it was bleeding. I gave it to my boyfriend because i started crying because it was my fault i let them out

Me too i’m just really worried and sad right now
Just make sure that once you begin integration, you do as much supervising as you can in the beginning, to see how the older ones take to the younger one.

Having a lot of space and clutter to work with will help, so the younger bird can get away and hide if needed, as does having at least 2 feeders spread out to avoid conflicts over food.

Should i get my chick a friend? The only thing i’m worried is that’s she’s 5 weeks old and the chick will be younger then her too.
Thats not bad.. i had a 2 month old had 4 siblings killed. I put her in a coop with 3 1 month olds. She became like a mom to them and to this day there almost 6 months old and they still stay in a tight pack , with the 1 month older still acting like mom

Should i get my chick a friend? The only thing i’m worried is that’s she’s 5 weeks old and the chick will be younger then her too.
I would get her a few friends, in my opinion. Lucky was about 5 weeks when she got friends, too, so I wouldn't worry too much about the age difference. That said, though, I would also get maybe two or more so that she's outnumbered. Lucky got four buddies and there was no fighting. :)

Back
Top Bottom