Lonely?

willow-wils

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 4, 2015
I have a two day old chick, it was the only one to hatch & is very noisy. Do you think it's just lonely or are they all this loud??

Its not lonely. Chickens have IQ of about -3. Its is in this world n chirping, just like newborn children enter and cry. When chick gets enough to eat and drink, it will take a nap. WISHING YOU SUCCESS

Of course its lonely, they are a flock animal. either try getting another chick or 2 for it, or try putting in a mirror and a cuddly toy so it can see itself , the theory being that it will think there is another chick there. Chickens are a lot more intelligent than they are given credit for, they can recognise upto 200 other chickens, know their place in the flocks pecking order, who feeds them verses who they don't like ( eg the kid down the road that taunts them) . he or she will be noisy but also lonely

I agree with Stiggy.
Baby chickie needs a friend/flockmate or two. It is not a matter of want it is a matter of need.
I had to isolate a hen due to fighting with another and she actually stopped eating after 4 or 5 days in isolation.

Mine recognize the color of the treat bucket as well. I have green, blue and yellow scoops that I use for the dog, cat and chicken feed. If I bring out the same shape but wrong color they do not come looking for treats. If I bring the yellow one they mob me.

It has a teddy in with it, I thought it was silly when I first done it but then read that's what everyone suggested. Anyone got a spare chick or 2 or know where I could buy one quick I'm in Dartford. Thanks

You are IT! The chick's broody mama that is. Find a comfortable hoodie or a warm bathrobe with a pocket, and place the chick in it. The hoodie works better because you can ride the chick around in the hood on the back of your neck to keep it warm and happy.

I know a guy who brooded hatched chicks in a muffler wrapped loosely around his neck. Drape it so it has a nice pocket just under your chin.

This will keep the chick warm and happy and QUIET.

Yes, it will poop, but have a spare ready that you can change to when it needs washing.

This will be the experience of a lifetime. And the chick will survive with flying colors.

My 3 kids are always chatting to it & he's out in the living room a lot. 'Harry the chick' sits with us a bit just don't want it getting money when we're working.

I have a two day old chick, it was the only one to hatch & is very noisy. Do you think it's just lonely or are they all this loud??
My very first chick was an only hatcher and yes, he let me know he was not happy to not have a friend...lol The first two nights I slept on the floor beside the brooder to keep him calm, then I just moved the brooder to the bedroom beside my bed so he could see me. If he couldn't see us, he would get loud. It led to having him out and with us a lot and needless to say, he became a pet. I did put a mirror in there for him. I tried the little stuffed animal thing, but the first one just freaked him out, so a couple weeks later I tried a different one and all he did was poop on it, he didn't care that it was there...lol.
As stated, chickens are flock animals. Yes, they can and will be lonely if they are by themselves.

Chick seems ok now dose sometimes get noisy but between the 3 kids, 2 cats & a dog looking in chick settles down well now.

Back
Top Bottom