Long Pin Feathers?

pcakes

Chirping
Apr 25, 2023
I have 3 senior hens, all molting. One has these really long pin feathers that won’t seem to fall off. The 1st picture is from 11/8, the rest are from today. I was hoping she would preen them off in time, but could they be stuck? And do they look unusually long?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_6202.jpeg
    IMG_6202.jpeg
    702.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6366.jpeg
    IMG_6366.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6367.jpeg
    IMG_6367.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6368.jpeg
    IMG_6368.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6369.jpeg
    IMG_6369.jpeg
    663.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
you could spray her with some water with a dash of apple cider vinegar to get her to clean herself ... or try to pull them off. It will not make the feather fall out.

Thanks for the advice!

They’re not used to being handled, so hubby will have to hold her while I work on them ~ but isn’t it uncomfortable for them to be handled while molting? It’s hard to see in the pics, but she still has little pin feathers everywhere.

Well if you’re concerned about causing them discomfort I would just leave them. It’s not hurting the bird.
They aren’t really pin feathers anymore at this point, based on the fluffy end of the feather sticking out. Your girl just hasn’t preened off the keratin sheath covering the base and shaft of the feather. The keratin sheath will start to disintegrate on its own sooner or later and I imagine your chicken, eventually, will get the job done herself. A light water spray would probably help urge her as others said.

Back
Top Bottom