Look At Skye's New Plumage...Blue Orp Hen

Thanks! I should have eggs later on, but just today, we trimmed/plucked some of the butt fluff on Suede and the ladies because I only got 3 fertile eggs out of 18 we set ten days ago. I want to see if that helps then we'll be back in business. These Orps have very dense fluff and that can make mating difficult at times.

I remember we had talked about that Cara. Did she ever drop those feathers or did she stay that way? I had a hen moult and look like that too, but she was still finishing her moult and once finished her color is now even. I think it takes them longer to drop those feathers for some reason and gives it that appearance for a while. I'll be curious if this goes away for Cyn too in the next few months. The really slow moulters seem to give this look.

She still looks like it, it's identical to the pattern of Cynthia's just in buff instead. I only noticed it last week, but I hadn't noticed her molting. I'm trying to figure out whether she's one of last year's hatch or not. I think she might actually be one that I hatched from your eggs a couple of years ago. If that's the case, she's just changed because she was evenly colored before. That will teach me to use those plastic spiral leg bands, they're starting to break and fall off. My aluminum ones are in the mail, i don't want to cross any split black chicks with my black ones!

Back
Top Bottom