Look What I Can Do!!! *PIC Heavy*

Quote:
He is proud of me and does know me very well. He asked me a week or so ago what we would do with this one when I want a bigger one in about 13 months!
gig.gif
I told him we would keep it and I would just build the next one!
lol.png

Quote:
I think you should go for it! This has been so much fun to do and I have learned a lot! Building stuff is not as daunting as I thought it would be as long as you have good instruction. I would never have attempted this without the book!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Oh yeah I can!
droolin.gif
I have to agree with Heather you never seem to get as much done as you plan to get done in a day but I know it is getting close. I am really hoping that we will be able to get the roof done today but I want to get the painting done first so we will have to see.

I was able to order the book through our library interloan program. Good excuse to buy dh some new tools,lol. Times like these I am REALLY missing dh's Ford truck. I wish we had the money to trade in and get a truck.I know he misses his *ride too but he opted for mpg as a priority. I saw homedepot rents trucks for $20 and hour,so I just might have to save monthly and buy everything early summer.

Nice neighbor.Who knows he may hire you to build a coop for him too! Are you painting the outside? I think I would let my kids pick a funky color like lilac or something. Love all your pics.

Does that coffee mate have hydrogenated oils? I love pumpkin anything,but have been working hard(and it is hard) to avoid the commonly used hydrogenated oils!

Pumpkin muffins are on my baking list for today.

Mattemma the creamer does have hydrogenated oils in it. It is yummy and I wish I could have one of your pumpkin muffins! I love those! I am going to paint the outside but just boring colors that will match the house.
big_smile.png
Dark brown trim with tan color as the main color.

Well didn't get as much done today as expected as usual. We did get the roof done though so tomorrow is just painting and finishing up all the little stuff. Gonna try to get the trim pieces cut and painted tonight so all I have to do tomorrow is paint the coop and start putting all the pieces together. I only have one more day to get all of this done. I hope that is enough time but at least I shouldn't have to go to Home Depot tomorrow so that will save time. Had to go twice and a trip in to town always takes at least an hour.

60251_img00089-20101010-1620.jpg

Had to get a shot of some of the chickens checking out the new digs.
gig.gif

60251_img00090-20101010-1621.jpg

Roof all done and metal corner pieces put on and primed.

Sorry for the kinda crappy pics, the sun was just in the wrong place.

Well we didn't get completely done but are soooooooo close.
smile.png
The coop is about 90% done now. This is what I got done today.

60251_img00092-20101011-1107.jpg

Trim pieces on the pop and people door.

60251_img00093-20101011-1108.jpg

All the other trim pieces cut and painted. Of course I forgot to add the width of the 1X3's to my measurements so I wound up having to cut some more boards later in the day. That's what I get for doing my calculations last night when I was so tired.
roll.png

60251_1353.jpg

Exterior all painted.

60251_img00095-20101011-1757.jpg

Nest box and cover hung. I am really glad that I put them on the outside.

60251_img00096-20101011-1804.jpg

Windows in, shutters up, people door hung and pop door hung.

60251_img00097-20101011-1805.jpg

Second window and shutters. I added some trim boards to the top and bottom of the windows to make them look more finished off. We still have to do some work on the roof. One thing I would do differently if I were to do this all over again would be to stick with the gabled roof in the plans. I would only attempt doing a sloped roof again if it was in the plans or I would put the front and back walls up and then snap the chalk lines for the cuts on the side walls. My carpentry math leaves a LOT to be desired!
gig.gif

We mainly have little stuff to do. We have to move the fencing to keep the chickens in, I want to do a better roost inside and I want to make feeders out of PVC and hang them inside eventually. All we really have to get done this week is move the fence and I have to instal the latch on the pop door and they are ready to move in.

Four days of working hard all day and I didn't quite get it finished but I am tired so I know I must have worked hard.
lol.png

It took me WEEKS of weekends to build my wonky A-Frame coop! Looking at your work, following it daily, I feel like I've been in a whirlwind - I have NO clue how you managed to do all that in pretty much one fell swoop.

clap.gif

It's SO good looking!!!

Well it hasn't been in one fell swoop that is for sure.
wink.png
It has taken me three weekends (one two day, one three day and one four day) to get as far as I have. I did have help getting the walls and the roof up. Wish we had planned how to do the roof better. Went with DH's suggestions and it is a little short on the front. The entire coop is covered but we need to work something out for an overhang on the front so that water doesn't get under the corrugated PVC. We will figure something out. My back is telling me that I need to go out of town next weekend so it can have a day off!
lau.gif
Hoping to move the chickens in during the week once we move the fence. The rest of the stuff can be done here and there. I think it is coming out really well and it looks a lot better than I thought it ever would. Gryeyes I highly recommend doing the gabled roof.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom