Looking for advice on how to get rid of a fox

Carter Martin

Songster
Jan 28, 2021
Co. Waterford, Ireland
I have a fox that just took out a bunch of my chickens and is probably still coming back to try and get more. I think I have found its den not far away. My idea is to try and shoot him if I can. I think that he probably has a female and cubs that he is providing for. Does anybody have any advice for me on how to get this fox/foxes? I have a .22 with which I would be able to shoot foxes.

First, keep your flock inside a predator proof coop and run for now!
It's possible to live trap foxes, but not easy. Try googling methods for best advice. Our problem fox, years ago, was shot by a neighbor, because i visited all within almost a mile if they had poultry, giving a warning.
We were unable to shoot him when he returned, didn't have a safe field of fire.
Are there companies or individuals who will take care of errant foxes where you live? Can you legally shoot this one?
Good luck!
Mary

don't deal with many foxes where i live due to the fact its either coyotes or wolves am dealing with.

but what type of .22 are you using? can you safely dispatch said animal at a range that is effective for your choice of gun?

is it legal to dispatch the animal? not sure how the laws work where you are from.

saying all that this is my advice.

as trapper and hunter,i would set some traps and set up for hunting said fox. twice the chance of getting the problem animal plus traps work 24/7, guns and hunting only work when you have them, but i would prefer to shoot a fox with a shotgun with buckshot, most likely the same effective range i would use a .22lr but with much more pellets.

Are there companies or individuals who will take care of errant foxes where you live? Can you legally shoot this one?
There might be people who would take care of the fox for me. I am not exactly sure of all the legalities around shooting the fox. I do know that you aren't supposed to shoot when you are within certain distances of roads and houses. But I do have a legal license for the specific gun I have access to.

but what type of .22 are you using? can you safely dispatch said animal at a range that is effective for your choice of gun?
I am using bolt action .22 rimfire. I should be able to safely dispatch the fox at a range that is effective for the gun. The gun is used for rabbits and birds as well and has been successful in killing some of them.

Thanks to those of you who replied here.

There might be people who would take care of the fox for me. I am not exactly sure of all the legalities around shooting the fox. I do know that you aren't supposed to shoot when you are within certain distances of roads and houses. But I do have a legal license for the specific gun I have access to.

I am using bolt action .22 rimfire. I should be able to safely dispatch the fox at a range that is effective for the gun. The gun is used for rabbits and birds as well and has been successful in killing some of them.

Thanks to those of you who replied here.
i would check your laws on depredation, here in Saskatchewan we can shoot any predator that threatens are livestock or human safety. in fact we can shoot black bears with in 1 km of our bee hives.

a .22 lr will work great if you stay in your effective range, all about bullet placement. i use my .22's for grouse and rabbits, dispatched a few 30 lb coons with a .22 short so it will work well.

I have a fox that just took out a bunch of my chickens and is probably still coming back to try and get more. I think I have found its den not far away. My idea is to try and shoot him if I can. I think that he probably has a female and cubs that he is providing for. Does anybody have any advice for me on how to get this fox/foxes? I have a .22 with which I would be able to shoot foxes.
Your poultry should be shut in at night inside a building with wire over all windows and openings. If you have a problem now you probably will again. Make sure all doors and windows latch shut in case of weasels and racoons. Foxes and other predators will dig under fences. Hope for the best.

Yeah, I haven't yet had any problems with animals other than possibly rats and mice getting into my newest pens which have a concrete pad. It is when the chickens are let out to free range that the fox is getting them. And I think he is getting more and more bold about it.

Yeah, I haven't yet had any problems with animals other than possibly rats and mice getting into my newest pens which have a concrete pad. It is when the chickens are let out to free range that the fox is getting them. And I think he is getting more and more bold about it.
Yea, I'm sorry your going to have to shoot him. I'm against violence towards animals, but unless you can totally protect you birds during the day, he will keep coming back until he has them all. Sorry

Back
Top Bottom