Looking for poor flyers

Geezer

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 10, 2016
Anderson, CA
I have what seems to be a perfect sized chicken run, but the fence is only 4 ft. high. So I would like to obtain a breed of chickens that are poor flyers. Any suggestions?

I have some Rhode Island Reds that seem fairly heavy, but they have no problem fling to the top of the fence and out.

I have some Rhode Island Reds that seem fairly heavy, but they have no problem fling to the top of the fence and out.

Do you have one wing on them clipped? If not then 4 ft is nothing for them to hop over....the one wing job throws them off balance vs. clipping both wings which many of them can overcome well enough to go over 4 ft of fencing. It also helps to consider how to make inside the fence more interesting than outside of the fence -- is the run scratched bare? Is covering the run not an option? An alternative to complete coverage is to put a "topper" that angles inward 45 degrees and extends a foot or two --- a lot of times they will approach all the way up to the fence and then go to fly up and over, the inward overhang will counter that.

Howdy Geezer

I agree with Ol Grey Mare on both the one wing clip and making the inside of the run interesting enough that they really do not feel a need to fly out.

I also agree with the suggestion of covering the run if possible. Not only will it stop them flying out, it will be added protection against aerial predators if you have them in your area.

Thanks very much for your advice. It looks like I may have to clip a few of my 'redheaded' girls wings. The rest of my small flock consists of Black Australorps, and they have never tried to fly out.

Back
Top Bottom