Looking for recommendations on a SOLAR fence charger

I too would skip the solar ...

Battery (s) are expensive, and don't last for ever ... solar panel is expensive ... and you can get 3-10 times the power from a 120 AC powered one!

The one above is rated for 5 miles ... just how far away is your coop? ;)

Run a electric fence wire to your run, leave the charger in your garage/shed/house ...

These are the fence chargers I have. Mine are older ones that I have had for many years but they are still going strong. The 10 mile charger is on the chick/grow-out coop. the 25 mile charger is on the main group of coops.
Zareba 10 Mile DC Charger.jpg
Zareba 25 Mile AC Charger.jpg

I have the 10 mile AC Zareba unit. It powers about 9500 ft of polytape. I would need to run it (bury a line actually) 75' away to the new run, and put up about 6000 ft of new polytape. I wonder if adding that amount of additional fence would deplete the voltage too much? Its currently kicking out 7500 volts.

If you already have a charger ... just add the fencing ... check power ... if not enough juice to keep you happy ... buy another charger, either same size as you have and run two SEPERATE systems, or just on big one, and keep old charger for a spare, gotta be cheaper than a solar one with the same power ...

Originally I had 2 wires going around the pens. I added a 3rd wire and saw no difference on my meter. I check the power every evening when I collect the eggs. I also added a couple of more coops and pens since I originally put up the electric wire. I have 3 wires in most places (the sides that are most vulnerable), but with two wires going around the back side of the coops. The wire going around my pens is totally around 250 feet x 75 feet.

Are you running a single hot wire or poultry netting? Also how much wire or netting are you running?
I am running two hot wires. One about 10" and one about 15" off the ground all the way around the run. Maybe 120' total. My coop is hardened and the run is all Hardwire cloth. I have had deaths from Weasels and coon this year. Hoping all the combined security will prevent further deaths.

Back
Top Bottom